MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/13/2009 08:20 AM

Von Willebrand's and kidney donation

everlasting

I have a mild case of Von Willebrand's and my partner is in need of a kidney - kidneys are failing. His family members did not suceed in the screening process for donor and ironically I have the same blood type of 0+. Does anyone have a comment as to the risks I might be facing and is my decision a realistic one?

Everlasting

please respond to my e-mail address of carpe.diem@ns.sympatico.ca

07/13/2009 08:42 AM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group Everlasting! With any surgery there is a risk of complications. Have you had any surgeries where you have hemorraged? If not, you are in good shape. I would definitely suggest talking to a very experienced hematologist about having infusions of Humate P before and for about a week afterwards. Humate P is the cleanest way to get factor 8. You should have an infustion before the surgery, infustions after the surgery every 8 hours for the first 24 hours, and then one a day for the next week. This will not only stop you from having bleeding problems during the procedure, but it will also aid your body in healing afterwards. I hope this helps and I hope all goes well for your partner. Smile

Post edited by: hopefull1, at: 07/13/2009 08:45 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved