MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/17/2012 02:17 PM

Paralyzed vocal cord after cervical spine surgery

bumpygirl57
bumpygirl57  

Hello yall, I am a 54 y/o female with fibro, dercums disease, chronic pain, degenerative disc disease and more. I had surgery on 12-20-2011 to remove the "old" plate that had been placed in 2003 and have a new one places due to 2 new ruptured disc. Less than a week after my surgery, I realized my voice was MUCH WORSE than with the previous surgery. Also, I was having to force my voice to speak at all and was getting out of breath constantly. After seeing my ARNP, a local ENT, I was sent to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, TN. After diagnostic procedures, I was informed that my rih vocal cord was showing barely any movement. As most of you already know, I was offered the choices of do nothing and wait out the year required before any corrective surgery could be done. I was also offered the collagen injection that might allow my to regain some volume with my voice, although it would be temporary.I chose to have the injection. I had it last Tuesday. I started having MAJOR ear aches, jaw pain, ect.. So, I went back down (2 1/2 hours one way) yesterday. The doc I saw scoped me again and he goes, "UH-OH"... I knew something was wrong. He said I have a lump, bump, abscess or possibly the collagen has migrated out of the vocal cord. He said he had NEVER seen anything like this in his care. I was sent home with a script for antibiotics and steriods. The main doc (that did the injection) is out of town till Monday. So, I'll take my meds and wait for a call if she wants to see me Smile If it weren't for my 2 heating pads and my pain meds, I do not know if I could stand it Smile Anyone else ever have this happen. Oh yeah, I did get back some voice, raspy and hoarse.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved