MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2012 02:47 PM

My life will never be the same

kimleist
kimleistPosts: 10

I wanted to know if anyone else has anxiety about going places alone.I won't go shopping or travel by myself for fear of a vertigo attack.I don't want to live the rest of my life like this.I know that anxiety makes vertigo worse and I do have anxiety meds, but I don't take too often for fear of addiction.

04/24/2012 04:59 PM
kristylr
kristylr  
I'm an Advocate

Anxiety is a very common complication that frequently comes with vertigo. I understand you're afraid of addiction but it's important to take the meds as prescribed. If they're something like zoloft or paxil, something that needs to be taken daily to keep a therapeutic dose in your system then only taking them once in a while will render them ineffective. As for the concern with addiction, that can easily be dealt with if it comes up, your best option is to fully discuss your concerns with a psychiatrist that can manage your medications to insure a proper dosage. Addiction typically happens when one is getting a higher dose than needed to manage the problem.

You should also consider therapy, expressing yourself openly in a trusted situation can help you confront your fears and work through them so perhaps you won't need the medication.

04/27/2012 08:28 AM
kimleist
kimleistPosts: 10

Thank you, I think I will give therapy a try.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved