MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/30/2011 10:36 PM

Newbie to the group

crohniegirl

Hello Everyone,

I have been diagnosed with vertigo in connection with migraines. Some of my meds do have dizzines as a side effect but I don't think that is the problem. I have learned how to adapt to the different challenges that vertigo presents. Lately, I have been having these really severe episodes. I can only say that I feel "caught in a ride that goes round and round." When I think that the ride is slowing down it goes even faster. My headache dr. is going to send my to a Ear, Nose, and Throat Dr.. My appointment is on Oct. 11. I just want them to find out why I am feeling this way. I would appreciate any advice that you can that you have on dealing with vertigo and any addtional questions that you think I need to ask the Dr. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Cool Cheerful

10/01/2011 12:34 AM
kristylr
kristylr  
I'm an Advocate

Welcome welcome Crohniegirl! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I call that ride the tilt-o-whirl from hell, it's a horrid sensation that has triggered more than a few panic attacks, trips to the emergency room, and general feeling of complete hopelessness.

here's what I can tell you, the ENT is going to check for signs of infection, they will probably jostle your head and check for nystagmus (sideways twitching or hesitation in eye movements indicative of severe episodes of vertigo) If your headache dr. hasn't already done them they may opt to do a scan so they can see the inner ear. After all that is said and done and assuming they don't find anything they may say you have BPPV, Benign Paroxismal Positional Vertigo...big words for "always dizzy and it sucks like hell but we don't know what's causing it so we don't have a medicine to fix it"

If they do find something, perhaps a build up of pressure in the inner ear, some kind of infection, or anything else they will work out a treatment plan with you to address the cause of the increased vertigo. However, more often than not, there is no known cause but that doesn't mean there's no help at all.

If you are diagnosed with BPPV or any other form of chronic benign vertigo ask your ENT about physical therapy for it. Also be sure to ask if there are any vertigo clinics in your area, they specialize in treating it whereas ENTs and even Neurologists just aren't versed enough in that specialized area to give a full range of treatment options and often just try to appease the patient by prescribing antivert and hoping that it helps enough that the patient doesn't keep coming back. That may sound terrible but it's the honest truth, it is very frustrating for your average dr to treat a patient with vertigo because they don't know or have time to properly address the problem.

That being said, regardless of your diagnosis, there are ways of dealing with and even thriving while living with chronic vertigo and you can always take comfort in knowing that you are not alone in it. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you.

10/02/2011 07:33 AM
dzemama

Hi Chroniegirl, I will hit my 4th week with the same problem as you this Tuesday, so I feel your pain! Kristylr is giving you good words of wisdom! I saw a physical therapist last Wednesday and felt very encouraged after her treatment. I went in very feeling very dizzy/wobbly and came out with no dizziness. It has since returned, but I am going in again tomorrow. The neurologist said that my migraines are stemming from my neck and the PT is going to help me with that too. This support group has been very helpful and I hope you find comfort here.

10/04/2011 10:18 PM
davesprettylady

I have the same problem in conncetion with migraines. I saw an ENT and had a VGN (vertical gaze nystagmas) test done yesterday. It was not a particularly pleasant test, and involves them changing the pressure in your inner ear by putting air in your ears and inducing vertigo. I will get the results next week and find out if its actually migraine associated vertigo (I'm about 90% sure its that) or regular old vertigo.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved