MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/19/2013 07:23 PM

Fibroids and swelling? My symptoms worry me, anyone do this?

starr728

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and so happy I found somewhere I could come for support! It is hard to discuss with anyone I know about this because very few have not went through similar symptoms. I should start with introducing myself and explaining a few things: I'm 35 with 2 children. My husband and I knew we couldn't have anymore children because I was advised it wasn't good for my health, so happily I am blessed with a complete family. That being said, 7 yrs ago during my last pregnancy I started having some symptoms that lead to finding kidney cancer encapsulated in my right kidney. So, 12 weeks after having my 2nd son, I had to have my right kidney removed. Well, since then EVERY doctor makes every thing I have a scare with concern of cancer. I should mention, I'm a 7 year cancer survivor!!! I have always had irregular periods, heavy bleeding at times and had a hard time becoming pregnant, took 5 years to become pregnant with my first and another 5 years I had no period and still became pregnant (I consider this a blessing for both my boys!) In 2009 I lost 130 pounds and felt so much better than I'd ever felt before, but a year after losing that weight health issues began striking at me. B12 issues (which at the time I had no idea what it was, it caused numbness in my face, difficulty swallowing, fatigue, panic disorder due to my B12 being dangerously low. That was finally found last year and I was feeling human again, except due to that and a few other bumps along life's highway I found myself with most of my weight gained back.)

This is where it leads up to my new health issues. In spring I finally felt like losing weight again, I lost 40 lbs back down, but in June problems came that I couldn't explain. I started swelling in my stomach and it was unlike swelling I'd experienced. (I have high blood pressure and have typical hand and feet, sometimes leg swelling.) But this swelling was a bloating type feeling, swollen mainly on one side and feeling of air or a charlie horse feeling near my rib on the left side.) I put off going to have anything seen about because I knew I would have a CT scan for my yearly routine kidney check up. It was summer and I wanted to enjoy things with my kids without worrying as well and my symptoms weren't horrible. I did notice my period came regular and closer each month and heavy, heavy bleeding, clotting and trouble like a bowel obstruction when I had my period. I pretty much could not go to the bathroom at all until after my period, due to the problem of feeling something on my colon. After my period things would clear up. August I all of a sudden with no warning started what I thought was my period. I spotted, no other symptoms like I normally have though and no heavy bleeding. I found it odd but was appreciative that I wasn't cramping heavily or having a lot of bleeding. I thought maybe my back had been the culprit to my period not acting right (sometimes when I go to the chiropractor my period will go back to being normal) But then the problems started.

The end of August I started my period again...so I thought, this round I noticed the blood looked brown and I would spot and then have feelings like labor pains and pass clots. This went on for a month, finally I went to the doctor and he scheduled me for a scan since it was time for my CT scan for my kidney anyway, but a couple days before my scan I was so ill I ended up swelling in my upper stomach, lower abdomen, passing blood, felt weak, tired, bloated and when I would lay down the swelling would be so bad it felt I couldn't breathe and my neck and face would swell. Never had that happen. I went to the ER and they basically tested me for everything I did not complain about and went on the agenda that it was my heart because of the explained pain I told them of my sternum feeling crushed due to swelling. My heart checked out a ok, no blood clots in lungs (I was also having a hard time breathing, short of breathe) so they now have me waiting for this CT scan, since I'm allergic to the dyes I had to have it rescheduled until I was put on a steroid and now I have the scan this Wednesday.

I then went for a follow up also right after my ER visit and my doctor did a pap smear where she was astonished at how badly I was swollen and noticed tenderness on my left ovary, I've had 3 ovarian cysts in the past but all went away on their own. She sent me for a vaginal and pelvic u/s and it came out clear. She suggests its most certainly a very large fibroid that wouldn't have been seen on the ultrasound. She also stated my uterus was badly tilted and pushing on my colon and thinking that a fibroid is the culprit-but not 100%. Reason I'm wondering about my symptoms and what you all think and have been through.

My symptoms now are bleeding off and on, have not stopped since August. Some days I only have bleeding when I eat (as if the weight of food presses on whatever it is...thinking a fibroid?) I feel very full to the point I can't eat or drink anything, when I lay down I swell, if I stand to do anything much I swell, the swelling is always lower abdomen, upper abdomen sometimes, neck and face--I swell in neck and face when I lay down. While laying down it feels like a vollyball is in my stomach. I can't lay on my stomach at all for pressure, my left side is tender as well and laying on my right side hurts but I can at times get comfortable that way. If I lay on my back I get heartburn from all the swelling and I have a hital hernia. The swelling is definately worse at night, probably because when I lay down to go to sleep I swell. Its taking over my life because I can't do anything right now for this. The swelling sometimes is so bad it causes everything to ache where it is being stretched and having pressure put on it. Just last week my stomach was so swollen I looked as if I was pregnant to full term, actually I wasn't that large with either of my pregnancies. It is driving me crazy and my doctor won't see me until I have this scan. I think my stomach became irritated due to the swelling which pushed acid up and caused severe heartburn. So I may have also been going through a bought of Gastritis on top of everything. I get so scared especially at night when I swell like I do. Does this sound like a fibroid? My doctor wants me to have a hysterectomy asap if I do end up having a fibroid, or if nothing like the "C" word is found. I'm 100% willing to have a hysterectomy because I'm tired of feeling bad all the time.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated and I am so thankful to have found this forum!

12/01/2013 04:18 PM
kd26

Hi there--I am new to this forum too, I was diagnosed with endometriosis several years ago and uterine fibroids about 2 years ago--Your symptoms do not sound typical to me, if you haven't yet, definitely go see your Dr. asap. I hope you can get some answers soon Smile

12/01/2013 04:43 PM
starr728

Thank you KD26 for your reply! I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from endometrosis and uterine fibroids. I finally did get some answers, not yet all answers but part of my problem turned out to be an inflamed liver, gastritis, ulcer and then plus reproductive issues all going on at once. It has not be confirmed but from all my tests the only thing left would be endometrosis, so my doctors are saying they are 90% sure that is my problem. They also think I had a fibroid to disintegrate. I'm going to have to have a full hysterectomy, but I do think after that, then I'll be feeling better. I am doing better since I last posted also! Which I am very thankful to God for!

12/01/2013 05:03 PM
kd26

Endometriosis is quite a beating, I was becoming very depressed from the fatigue and constant pain I was in before my procedures. It definitely wreaked havoc on my tummy. I'm glad to hear you at least got a few answers Smile

04/04/2014 01:22 PM
faithful14

thank you for the information you posted. very helpful to know.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved