MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/06/2010 07:29 AM

Gerald Green diet

Hellokitty77
Hellokitty77Posts: 35

Gerald Green Diet. (which is like the SCD but with out the sugar) you need to give the diet atl least 2 months. Some will see a result in a week some it will take longer. It depends on you. I have proctitis which is apperently its the hardist to heal.

The Anti-Candida Diet

Eliminate:

All cows milk and products: butter, cheese, yoghurt, whey, all cowss milk derivatives such as the protein and lactose.

Yeast products: Alcohol, bread and all its relatives (he allows soda bread but I personally do not have it), marmite, oxo, bovril, vinegars, mushrooms, processed and smoked fish and meats

Sugar and sugar products, sucrose, honey, fructose, lactose, glucose, dextrose plus any sugar alternatives which contain aspartame or canderal.

Nearly all fruit: overripe fruits are full of sugar and yeast and dried fruits

Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates convert to sugar in the gut so cut out 85%. These are grains like wheat, oats, barley, rye and rice plus potatoes ect.

Avoid all convenience/junk foods as they contain hidden sugars and undesirable ingredients. Avoid health supplements or anything else containing lactose, citric acid, sugar, casein, yeast or whey.

Avoid crackers, pastries, doughnuts, cakes, pies, muffins cookies and most breads. He says some people can get away with a small amount of soda bread. I make my own nut muffins though

Avoid snacks including crisps, pretzels and popcorn, white rice potatoes and corn,

Avoid products made with white flour, such as pasta

Avoid Chick peas dried beans, lentils, pinto beans, peas, Mushrooms and fungi

Processed meats such as bacon, sausage, ham, salami, bologna, pastrami, hot dogs and smoked fish and farmed salmon and trout.

High-salt foods such as processed meats, fish and in particular smoked fish.

Condiments such as pickles and all shop bought sauces

Hydrogenated fatty acids and partially hydrogenated fatty acids as contained in some margarines and many processed foods.

Saturated fats from tropical oils such as coconut oil and palm oil.

Saturated fats of any type, especially from meat and meat products

The following fruit and vegetables in particular are best avoided:

Apricots, bananas, blackberries, grapefruit, grapes, kumquats, passion fruit, peaches, plums, raspberries, strawberries any melon.

Artichokes, asparagus, aubergine, avocado, courgettes, okra, peas, pumpkin, sauerkraut, sugar snap peas, squash

The list above shows you the foods Candida loves and thrives on. Most of these need to be eliminated from your diet for ever. However, when in remission, asparagus, aubergine, avocado, courgettes, peas raspberries, strawberries and plums can be reintroduced.

Good Food Choices

The foods below have the lowest possible sagar/yeast content and are your best choice. You will notice there are several oils included, this is because certain, ‘good fats' are vital for health these are linseed and cod liver oil, Omega 3, and evening primrose oil (omega 6)The ideal ratio is 3 parts omega 3 to 1 part of omega 6. i.e. a dessertspoon of linseed or cod liver oil mixed with 100mg capsule of evening primrose oil once a day.

Eat plenty of the following:

Alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, sweet peppers, box choy, green broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, endive, fennel, garlic, green beans, greens, you can have chilli peppers, kale lettuce, onions, parsley, spring onions, spinach, swiss chard, turnips, watercress, swede, celeriac, chicory, kohl rabi, leeks and ginger.

Fats in moderation

Avocado oil, fish oil, flaxseed oil, grapessed oil, hemp oil, olive oil, primrose oil and sunflower oil.

Other good foods,

Free range eggs

Fresh fish and seafood (but not farmed salmon or trout)

Pork, lamb, veal, poultry- try to get lean meat

Game

Brazil nuts (in moderation

Apricot kernals (in moderation

Tofu (in moderation

Ouorn (in moderation – I never eat this

Soy milk

Rice milk

Sheeps milk and cheese

Goats milk and cheese

Sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds

Some yeast less bread, soda bread but look for additives. (I make my own nut muffins from the scd diet instead of this)

Culinary herbs and spices

Fruit:

Only have one apple, pear or kiwi a day or equlivalent amount of one apple to say strawberries or raspberries but not both

An alternative to sugar is a herb called stevia.

I know it looks daunting but I its helping me.

06/06/2010 07:30 AM
Hellokitty77

there is also the scd diet which is simular.

06/06/2010 10:29 AM
amber2057
amber2057  

well hi again !

thank u so very much for posting the diet Kitty!

i had no idea that it was such a long list !!!!!!!! kind of u to take the time to write it all .

i actually am a fussy eater , im a vegetarian and i dont eat fish either . alot of the foods you mention i dont like anyway ..lol.

i do have goats milk and cheese though , so im glad i got that right !.

most fruits i cant have because of the acid ....but i know apples ok ,,,,i have some in waiting .

im not sure what soda bread is ,,can i buy it or do u need to make it ?. and i did not knowu can get yeastless bread!

i will make note of this diet ....and thanks again .

it sure makes sense not to eat alot of these things !

i only wish we could be enlightened by our medical teams . good thing we help each other .........my very best wishes Amber

Post edited by: amber2057, at: 06/06/2010 10:34 AM

06/06/2010 10:39 AM
amber2057
amber2057  

oh and i never have alcohol now or anything vinegar based .i found out no drinking, as we use to work in the business !{ran a bar .....resturant in England . was probably guilty of eating all the wrog things then too! its strange that we are never advised of diet ....well i was not ,,,,ever .

this info is so helpful. take great care ,,,Amber

06/07/2010 11:33 AM
Hellokitty77

it is restrictive but at the same time im scard of the surgery after what i read on j-pouch.org. I just never knew that there was a pouchtits. Im really scard of surgery now. I thought that if you get the pouch the UC was gone. Well for some but not for all, and what if I was one who it didn't go for. that is why I chose this. Its kept me off prednisone so far so im hoping it will continue. I really hope so.

06/07/2010 01:55 PM
amber2057
amber2057  

if its working for u , thats great ! much better than going through surgery i agree .

i have not yet looked up j-pouch.org . but i will do just that in a moment . thanks again Kitty .hugssss

Post edited by: amber2057, at: 06/07/2010 01:56 PM

06/14/2011 01:36 PM
gambler

Hello Kitty--are the vegetables you're eating raw or cooked? My husband is a colitis sufferer & I don't know what to feed him. Ordered Gerald Green's book & I like the premise of his diet. I suffered with candida for many years & limiting carbs really helped me. However, my symptoms were basically sinus-type. His is diarrhea/colitis. Don't know whether to cook his veggies or allow him to eat raw.

06/20/2011 09:28 AM
Hellokitty77

on that diet it dosent matter if they are cooked or raw. Its about reducing the candida really. depends on what he feels comfortable with. I eat alot of salads but i cook brocoli and beans and stuff. I also use alot of herbs to help clear it, as i know diet alone will not take it away. you can get geralds stuff from a health food store. he uses golden seal and wormwood. i also am doing another corse of stuff at the moment but geralds stuff got rid of pain which was good. sorry i have not been on here in a wile. i was in Scotland last week it was lovely.

just to let you know my stauts the only symptom i can still report is a bit of mucus so we will see what happens. im on a course of probiotics so i will see if that helps with this. take care

06/27/2011 03:52 PM
peery5

I'm all new to this, and the diet thing really scares me. Does it help. And what kinds of natural herbs and other things do you do to help you?

08/31/2011 08:13 AM
Determined9

I think Im going to give this diet a go! I am a little nervous as to how my body is going to react to so much green food, but at this point I will try anything. I am 22 years old and was diagnosed a year ago. I was told it would be easy to treat but nothing has worked for me. I am on Imuran, Prednisone, Lialda, and get regular Remicade infusions, but am still suffering. Today I woke up quite depressed. I get married next Saturday and want that day to be perfect. I'd love to feel healthy on my wedding day.

Anywho... I have a question about the diet. Does eliminating all milk products include lactose free milk? Why is soy milk and such appropriate and the others not? Just curious. Thanks so much!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved