MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/31/2011 01:53 AM

How do you control the tics?

AveMaria02

Okay, I know this may sound strange but I am an adult who has Tourette Syndrome. I, for one, have never heard of the syndrome affecting adults. I thought it only affected children but that all children eventually grew out of it. Well, a neurologist diagnosed me with Tourette Syndrome earlier this year.

That said, I have a tic where I shrug my shoulders all the time. I can't control it and it is incredibly annoying and tends to cause me to strain my muscles which is very painful. I also have a tic where I jerk my head forward at times when frustrated. And then I also pop my ankles and wrists, sometimes over and over but I don't know if that is a tic or not. Anyway, how does one control these, especially the shoulder shrugging? I am tired of constantly straining my muscles and ending up in pain. I already have Fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disorder, and any additional pain is almost unbearable.

12/31/2011 05:11 AM
Nevayda

Group Leader

Hello AvaMaria02 and Happy New Year!

Tourette Syndrome begins in childhood, usually between the ages of 3 and 16. It's very possible that you had a very mild case. It is lifelong and chronic and unfortunately no one grows out of it. There is research ongoing to find a cure, but so far no cure yet. Often, TS will get better as the person gets older because they have learned h ow to cope better, hide or hold in symptoms until later, and because it can be just plain old worse in childhood. It's not uncommon for the tics to appear in a more severe form later in adulthood. What you describe are tics. I would suggest trying a medication available to help reduce the ticcing, especially since you are experiencing the pain with the neck and shoulder tic. Vocal tics must be present for a diagnoses of Tourette Syndrome, that can include, sniffing, coughing, throat clearing, lip smaking and more, and I mention it because often we don't associate that with a "tic".

You can get an information packet from the National tourette syndrome Association at usa.tsa.com that will discribe all the various tics that can manifest. Also a site with excellant information and updates for those who have TS..

I would also encourage you to research your diagnosis and learn all you can about it. Hugs to you-N

Post edited by: Nevayda, at: 12/31/2011 05:15 AM

01/01/2012 03:13 PM
AveMaria02

Well, I remember I first started doing the shoulder shrugging thing when I was like 14 years old. I thought the tics went away for several years and just returned a couple of years ago.

As far as vocal ticks go, I do sniff a lot even though I don't have a runny nose or anything. I just simply feel the need to do it and so I do it.

I have another non-vocal tic which is also pretty annoying as it makes my lips really chapped. What I do is a put my lower lip over my upper lip and sometimes I also put my upper lip over my lower lip as well. I do this very frequently and don't even notice until my lips start getting sore.

01/01/2012 04:44 PM
Nevayda

Group Leader

HI, possible they went into remission. When you get a list of tics you may be surprised. You may have some that you would never suspect as a tic. Just a note, psychiatrist are familiar with medications that help with tics. after the intiial diagnosis of my daughter's tourette, we went to a psychiatrist ever since. You can see if your state has a Tourette Syndrome Association by googeling the name of your state plus Tourette syndrome Association, and there should be a contact number. they can give you the name of a psychiatrist who treats adults who have TS, if you plan to try some medication. Good idea too, if you can get to a support group and meet others who have to deal with TS. There is a whole world available where research is going on, get togethers, symposiums, activites, newsletters, etc,. thru the TS Associations. It's a family where everyone understands!

01/05/2012 12:36 PM
SSLMD
Group Leader

A variety of medicines have been used with varying degrees of success. I have never used or prescribed any of them, so I can't offer any advise other than to try to find someone, perhaps through the TSA, who does know something about it. In addition to TS itself, there is another condition in children that is almost indistinguishable from TS called pediatric autoimmune neurological syndrome after Streptococcus (PANDAS). It is at least theoretically possible that your recurrence was triggered by a strep infection. Good luck.

01/06/2012 06:08 AM
AveMaria02

Thank you everyone for your information and advice. I do currently see a psychiatrist so at my next appointment I will ask him about medication for my Tourettes.

01/06/2012 06:35 PM
Nevayda

Group Leader

I'm so glad you posted AveMaria02. It really helps all of us to hear from others and to share. Knowledge is power!! Hugs to you-N

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved