MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/10/2008 02:03 PM

what can I do?

Mazere
MazerePosts: 7

I am new to this group. I have had tinnitus for the last 2 years and it is driving me nuts. I cant sleep at nights and the only way I can get any quiet at all is by drinking. I have never been a drinker before and now I am worried about my general health. Plus the tinnitus is getting louder and interferes with my work during the day. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else tried alcohol as a means of making it quiet for long enough to go to sleep? I am getting desperate, and it all seems so unfair that I have picked up this complaint for no obvious reason

04/28/2008 06:09 AM
MotherofBoys
MotherofBoys  

Hello Mazere,

I'm sorry that you have not received a reply until now. I will be the group leader (officially) sometime this week.

The reason that the alcohol is "working" for you is because it depresses the Central Nervous System (CNS) and thus, decreases any functions that are taking place, at that time, including tinnitus.

I will be writing an article, about tinnitus, this week. Look for it soon. I think it will be helpful to understanding what is going on.

Unfortunately, after a person has had Tinnitus for 6months or more, it is considered permanent.

We need to find you some other compensatory means to deal with the sound so that it is not interfering with you work day.

Please, come back and we can talk and come up with something (or things) that will help you throughout your day.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved