MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/21/2012 10:24 AM

feeling alone dealing with Tietze advice Plz!

biancaja1982

hi,I was diagnosed with tietze syndrome dec 2010 when i ended up in the er unable to breath and feeling like i was having a heart attack.I was put on nsaids and sent home. Took about 6 months to be symptom and pain free and than when the winter came i had some mild discomfort. Than about 3 weeks ago the pain has come back very intense there are times i have to hold my breath because the pain is so bad. My doc has put me on so many different meds to try and help with the pain and nothing has helped. I am going back to the my doc next friday for another follow up and would love any advice as to what i should try next to help with the pain.

I am a stay at home mother of 2 beautiful daughters and i work part time from home. It is becoming difficult to stay positive but being in pain all the time makes it very hard. Before my first er visit in 2010 i worked out everyday at the gym and went to aerobic classes 1-2 hours daily as well. Now i am limited to about 20 minutes on a stationary bike.

I really want some relief and my healthy active life backSad

03/21/2012 12:29 PM
Lillyella

Hi Bianca

My Tietze started in Dec 10 as well. I made numerous trips to ER and have had lots of scans to rule out other serious things. I was "relived" when finally I went to a private doctor ( here in the UK we have to rely on the NHS, which although wonderful as free it takes a long time to get reffered anywhere!) she diagnosed me with Tietze. Mine is left sided and although my pain is constantly there as a dull ache, knowing that it is not serious makes it so much better. I also have two wonderful children and a very understanding hubby and I am trying my best to live life to the full. The private doctor suggested 3 days of naproxen then two weeks off then 3 days of naproxen and so on. Please let me know if you find a "cure". Take care xx

03/21/2012 12:31 PM
Lillyella

ps I forgot to add that mine also gets worse with the cold weather. Not so good in the UK as Summer never seems to arrive!! x

03/21/2012 12:52 PM
biancaja1982

Ya I am grateful that my pain isn't from anything serious that could kill me. It still is really rough dealing with this pain. I am un able to take naproxen cause it can cause damage to kidneys and I was born with only one. I take motrin 800 when the pain is really bad cause I know they can be hard on the stomach. My doc has me taking prednisone for a week right now to see if the inflammation will go down.(start Friday) We will see what happens I haven't noticed a difference yet.

My kids and husband know that I am in pain but don't understand how it feels. But they do see me frustated with the pain sometimes.

04/14/2012 06:47 PM
kjv1956
kjv1956  
Group Leader

This diagnosis is very frustrating. It is so hard to live with it especially when others really do not understand the limitations or the pain. I have learned that foods do play a role with inflammation. Sugar and processed foods will cause inflammation and increase pain. Have you tried any food changes.

kjv1956

04/14/2012 06:58 PM
kjv1956
kjv1956  
Group Leader

I feel like I am reading my own story. Twice to the ER thinking it was heart problems. Tietze's. It is very scary when the flare is so bad breating is impared. For years I have lived with this diagnosis. Five weeks ago I went to a Rheumatoid Arthritis Dr. who says that tietze's was the first sign of RA in my case. The inflammation moved from the rib cage to the knees (one knee replacement) (five surgeries)on my feet. Now the hands and shoulders are inflammed and painful. Once I did the research this diagnosis many times falls into the RA catagory. Foods I have learned play a huge role in inflammation. Experiment with the removal of sugar and processed foods and see if it helps with the pain.

kjv1956

04/14/2012 08:12 PM
biancaja1982

i also read that some meats and food can cause and increase inflammation. So i became a vegetarian about 2 weeks ago. i have noticed a little differnce in that i dont have as much or as bad of pain as before.

04/14/2012 08:29 PM
biancaja1982

My last doc visit I had seen a new doctor and reviewed my test results and symptoms and believes on top of having tietze that I also have fibromyalgia. But she wasn't able to run more tests or treat me without it costing a lot of out of pocket money because I lost my health insurance Sad

She did recommend that I stopped taking the 800 motrin and start taking tylenol artritis and to use lidocaine patches because they have less side effects and possble damage than the injections.

Between being a vegetarian now and the change in pains meds I have noticed that I don't need them as often.

What were your symptoms that came to the diagnosis of ra?

I wake up each morning with a very sore chest, shoulders, hips and arms

Thank you for the responses it really helps knowing I am not alone Smile

04/15/2012 05:52 AM
kjv1956
kjv1956  
Group Leader

biancaja1982,

My started with Tietze's, then my knees became so painful ending in a replacement. My hands become so painful at night like swollen claws, taking several min to warm up and move. My shoulders are painful and my hips feel like they are bruised all the time. I am not convinced that this was triggered from being put under to many times and steroids. There is no research I can find about this but it seems more and more people are noticing simular results. Today seems to be a stiff one and taking a few to begin the morning.

05/24/2012 12:44 PM
Lillyella

Hi bianca how are you doing? Did the diet work? Did you go ahead and get injection? Hope u r doing ok x

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved