MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/05/2011 11:07 AM

Thyroidectomy scar

nurseb

So my stitches were removed on thursday and I noticed that I have swelling, firm feeling along the incision area. The incision looks good, and has redness or drainage, but I'm worried that the puffiness is there to stay. I probably wouldnt be worried if it wasnt right there on my neck for everyone to see.

Does anyone else remember what there incision looked like after surgery? Was anyone else self concious?

nurseb

03/12/2011 11:49 AM
angie660
angie660  

Mine is going on 4 months post my surgery. To this day mine is puffy and at times feels like a pin stabbing in it. They say it was from the stitches desolving. Also, it does itch from time to time. But I just call it my battle scar Wink

03/13/2011 05:58 PM
nurseb

Angie660,

Thanks for your response. Mine is not even 2mo post surgery. Anyway, my scar is healing good too, but I still have the puffiness and it looks like the neck of a turkey Dizzy maybe not that extreme, but close enough. I am also 52yrs old, so maybe another reason for the sagging that seems more prominent since the surgery.

My scar itches too and I also have a stabbing, stinging pain. I had drainage tubes and that seems to be the site of my stabbing and stinging.Whistling

The ENT doc said it would take 6mo to heal and for the swelling to be gone. She also said to massage the area and put neosporin on it. So that's what Im doing.

I tried to wear turtlenecks while on vacation on the northwest coast a week ago and couldnt handle the irritation. So just wore scarfs.

Since I was already hypothyroid since age 15, I really havent struggled too much with my thyroid. But my B levels were very low again after my surgery, so back on B injections and feeling alot better.

Did you have problems after your surgery with feeling awful with getting your thyroid levels to normal?

Hope all is well with you,

nurseb

03/27/2011 10:09 AM
zaftig
zaftig  

Mine was 'puffy' and pink for nearly a full year post-thyroidectomy (two surgeries). I was slightly self conscious about it for the first few months.

Today (seven years later), it's a very pale line that is almost possible to detect unless I'm in full sunlight.

Hope your healing continues to progress well! Smile

04/06/2011 08:17 AM
nurseb

Thanks for sharing ZaftigSmile

Mine itches every now and then. I'm 52, so the sagging chin and neck is already an issue. And now I'm self concious about the scar Blink No more swelling now, but my scar is pretty dark but only noticable when I stretch my neck up, so If I can remember not to do that. lol.

Hugs,

nurseb

04/21/2011 11:16 AM
Conn65
Conn65  
VIP Member

Nurseb, It's been almost 2 years since my surgery and I can happily say my scar is completely undetectible. It has been that way since about 4 or 5 months post surgery. I had a little swelling at first and some redness. But it all went away rather quickly. Once it was healed pretty well I kept lotion on it to keep the scarring at a minimum.

04/24/2011 12:31 PM
nurseb

Thanks Conn65 for you info.

My scar is doing better too. Every now and then my neck itches around the scar. I will take your advice about the lotion and maybe that will help. I already have dry skin from my thyroid condition and age.

Glad all is well.

nurseb

04/28/2011 10:01 AM
gretchencazares

You are doing great! The time does go fast before you know it. Mine stayed puffy for a while too. Its normal and will go down. Some tricks for the scar, keep it out of the sun for a year. My dermatologist said the sun will make it dark and then you cant change it. Also rubb vitamin e on it as offen as you think of it. I found even now keeping my neck warm in the cold and wind, even at night when it is bothering me helps a lot. Also post surgeries wearing a beany and keeping my head warm, sounds silly sleeping like that but it worked for me. The stiffness needs to be worked with your fingers to help, therapist for deep massage if you can aford it. I think the stabbing and shooting pain might be part of the healing, nerves and all. Hope this helped. I am 52 and post original surgery 2years. Vie had 3 surgerys, including one for both left and right side lymph nodes.

05/28/2011 02:32 PM
mem2
mem2  

I just wanted to give you a view of a neck scar that is 2 years past 2 surgeries. It's not as thin as I would like it and it is still slightly purple but I am now used to it. the doc said it would disappear into the folds in my neck. (unfortunately, I have no folds) Ha! Oh well, the only one that makes a big deal about it is my 2 yr old granddaughter. She traces the line with her finger, everytime I see her and she says, "you got a boo boo Memere"? I love that baby!! Smile [file]

Post edited by: mem2, at: 05/28/2011 02:33 PM

05/30/2011 05:10 PM
Conn65
Conn65  
VIP Member

sharing pics of our thyroidectomy scars at different stages is an excellent idea mem2 ! I hope others see the post and can post pics too.

I can't find my pics of the week of my surgery Sad I will continue to look. But here's one of my neck (not good pic quality) . It will be 2 years June 3rd that I had my surgery. I am very happy and don't think my scar shows much at all Smile

Post edited by: Conn65, at: 05/30/2011 05:11 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved