MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/15/2009 02:44 AM

I found out I was pregnant 3 days after turning 17

LadyBunnie
LadyBunnie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am now 29 and my daughter is 12. She is my best friend and one of the 3 best things that has ever happened to me.

I have been reading your stories.. wow do they bring back memories. I live in a small town and when I got pregnant it was the talk of the town. I married the father a month after I found out I was pregnant. Neither of us wanted to marry but thought it was the right thing to do (we were wrong!!!) I stayed sick so much I ended up dropping out of school. The pregnancy sucked. I was really tiny and it just hurt all the time. One by one my friends fell away... I couldn't party anymore and wasn't any fun. My husband quit his job so we were broke and living with his grandma. My mom pretty much bought all my baby stuff and helped us get into a house of our own. I was in labor for 38 hours before my wee one was born. She weighed 7lb11oz. And she was perfect... except for the crying. I was so not prepared for that part. After she was born I tried to go back to school but the principal was mean and kept asking me questions like "Who did you abandon your child with today?". I had enough and quit again, and got my GED. It didn't take me long to pick up the mother bit. My mom helped a lot and my little sisters did. Anna was this bundle of giggles and dimply smiles.

And just when I thought things were going smoothly I was pregnant again before I turned 19. That was a rough pregnancy too. He was born the 5th of July. And the child cried all the time. I thought Anna was bad... she had nothing on him. I didnt sleep for a full year. My husband was useless when it came to helping with the kids and I relied on family a lot. I got into drugs pretty badly and almost lost them. But I divorced the jerk and found someone else. Whom I have been married to for 8 years. We have a 4 year old... having a baby at 25 is so much easier. And I actually got to enjoy it.

I would never recommend that any teen get pregnant on purpose but if it happens.. it happens. Its not the end of the world. Your world just changes. All those friends that fell away... weren't really friends to begin with. I am finally in college now. So... life don't end.. its just a little postponed and on the upside I am the youngest mom in my kid's classes and they all think I'm cool.

I do have some advice:

1.If at all possible stay in school.

2.Make sure to pack plenty of diapers, extra clothes and formula in your diaper bag (learned this one the hard way when Anna pooped all over me and I didn't have a change of clothes for her! ew)

3. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about being pregnant. This is your life and your responsiblity, not theirs, so they have no say in the matter!

4. DRUGS! During labor anyway. when they say do you want drugs? you say YES! and lots of it! It really helps.

5. I have 3 kids, and 3 nieces and I am one of 7 kids, so I have experience... if you have any questions, concerns or just want to talk to someone who has been there... I am always here.

(hugs)

11/15/2009 08:18 PM
hbs52
hbs52  

This is really insprining story! thanks for sharing! I too live in a small town... The weird thing is that people i use to be close with are just not finding out im pregnant and im due december 9th lol. I have already graduated high school and im community college right now. Its soo tough! Not the work but, going to night classes and being pregnant i have to leave early so i dont fall asleep on the drive home. Did you go to school during your second pregnancy or no?

11/15/2009 09:36 PM
LadyBunnie
LadyBunnie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I didn't go to school during the second one. I worked a little at first then quit working until after he was born. But with the 3rd I worked till I got too big to work! lol.... my last baby weighed 10lbs 6oz, and I am only 5'2, so it was a rough pregnancy.

I remember in high school after I found out I was pregnant.... 13 girls from my class got pregnant withing just a few months of each other. Some did graduate but the majority of us got our GED. People would whisper that we all "ruined" our lives... but here it is almost 13 years later and we are all either going to college or have degrees and quite successful. We didn't "ruin" our lives, and certainly didn't get pregnant on purpose, we just had it a little harder. In the long run you appreciate what you achieve more if you have to work hard to get it.

11/15/2009 10:19 PM
cam23
cam23  

wow its really great to hear stories like yours!!!

i live in a pretty small town and after i found out i was pregnant about 5 other girls found out they were too....one of them being one of my pretty good friends and we have become really close becuz oour due dates are a week apart. thanks for sharing ur story.

11/15/2009 10:38 PM
LadyBunnie
LadyBunnie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

One of my best friends got pregnant shortly after I did too. We just got closer and it was nice having someone I could talk to and hang out with that had a kid too. She and I are still friends to this day.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved