MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/17/2012 12:26 PM

APPROVED!!!!

pickliah
pickliah  

I am approved for SSI and my backpay is coming this next week! I'm SO excited! FINALLY!!! I found out yesterday.. on my birthday!! Laughing I was approved for SSDI also but it is in some kind of payment process so i am told so i won't hear anything about that for up to 60 days.. bummer.. BUT I'm just excited their is finally a light at the end of the tunnel!

05/04/2012 05:45 AM
MBPRLY
MBPRLYPosts: 254
I'm an Advocate

I'm new to all this, but my state disability is about to run out and my doctor isn't releasing me. Aside from my mixed BP, ADHD, a number of other symptoms and all the issues with my back, I'm trying to figure out what my next step is?

So if I may, what is the difference between SSI and SSDI? Did you have to go through a lawyer to assist you in getting this all approved or where you just lucky?

05/04/2012 03:09 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Here's what SSD and SSI are:

SSI~ Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

* It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and

* It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

SSD: Social Security Disability- This program is financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers, and self-employed persons.

•The worker will get Medicare coverage automatically after receiving disability benefits for two years.

•To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work to be "insured" for Social Security purposes.

•Disability benefits are payable to:

◦blind or disabled workers

◦their children

◦widow(er)s

◦adults disabled since childhood

•The amount of the monthly disability benefit is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker.

Note: We also have a Social Security Disability Advice Group here at MDJunction. Please feel free to check that out as well.

http://www.mdjunction.com/social-security-disability-advice

As far as going through a lawyer or if we were just lucky- Well, the majority of applicants file, get denied, get an attorney or representative and appeal. Then, most of the time, get denied again, and file another appeal to appear in front of an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge).

This process can take literally years to complete.

Feel free to post with questions and share your story. We simply ask that you post in the correct group (either the SSI or SSD).

You may send me a PM anytime too.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved