MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/26/2011 11:15 AM

What happening?

mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

Hello everyone! I was just wondering where everyone stands with their SSI? I filed for SSI for my daughter in Dec. 2010 and just got our first denial in Sept. We now have a lawyer and are currently preparing for our 1st appeal. By the way I find it interesting in what state you are in. I am in Tennessee. Best of luck to all Smile

10/26/2011 01:28 PM
LadyCity
LadyCity  

lol I was born in TN.

I'm in Texas and currently awaiting my hearing on Nov. 15th and I HOPE HE DOESN'T DROP IT GOD!!!

If you get to the hearing part, ya know they can drop it no questions asked.

10/26/2011 10:59 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

I didn't know that! WOW How can they do that?

10/27/2011 02:53 PM
LadyCity
LadyCity  

I don't know but if you have to go through the hearing, it'll be on the paperwork they send you.

10/27/2011 06:28 PM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 2899
Group Leader

I was approved for both SSD and SSI October 11th this year in Ohio. When I get my back pay I want to move to Tennessee.

10/27/2011 08:10 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

I love Tennessee! Just come on down here Smile So not to bore you but I have an update. Please know before I even start I am VERY NEW at this and I can only say and know what my lawyer told me Smile I am only giving these updates from past post on here or the SSD group.So today I went to meet with my lawyer and we completed my appeal online. I was there 2 hours. I really liked my lawyer ALOT. First of all he will receive 25% or up to 6000 for payment if I win my appeal. He said that is set by SSA. He was very shocked that my daughter was denied. He said my daughter's case really "peaks" his interest. He said that SSI for children is a bit different than for an adult. He said for a child that I didn't have to be "very low income". He said SSI was the only SS a child could get and they do have different guidelines for it. He said yes they look at our income but they LOOK at alot more for a child. He also said that in was not uncommon for children to be on SSI. So at any rate my appeal is filed and he gave me papers to take to all her teachers, counselors and doctors. So thats my updateSmile

10/28/2011 06:17 AM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

Mtadkins,I'm not positive so don't quote me on this,but I believe SSI only pay back pay up to a year,so your attorney won't be getting any where near the 6 grand max.By the way what part of Tennessee you from? I have a lot of family around the LaFollette and Norris Lake area.

10/28/2011 11:16 AM
LadyCity
LadyCity  

Elvis hun your right,

They only back pay you anymore for a year.

It used to be from the date you filed and don't get me wrong some judges are nice about this but most anymore it's a year which is still a nice chuck of change.

01/22/2012 11:12 PM
mtadkins5
mtadkins5  

Just an update my daughter was approved for her SSI on December 13!!! WHOO HOO Smile We didn't have to go threw any more paperwork or exams. She received back pay for a year. The lawyer received 25% of her back pay. We had her back pay with in 3 days.

Post edited by: mtadkins5, at: 01/22/2012 11:13 PM

Post edited by: mtadkins5, at: 01/22/2012 11:14 PM

01/23/2012 01:29 PM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

Awesome, congratulations!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved