MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2011 01:56 PM

For Fun--Statistics-Why Men Choose Certain Women

lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

This is an article I ran across on the net that talks about why men marry some women or choose not to marry others; their views and whys/why nots. It is interesting. Which part do you women agree with? If some of you men are reading this, what about your comments?

Any rocks, sticks, or stones to throw? W00t

http://bookoutlines.pbworks.com/w/page/14422733/Why%20Men% 20Marry%20Some%20Women%20And%20Not%20Others

08/18/2011 03:36 PM
bethb2004
bethb2004Posts: 813

It almost lost me at the very beginning. "Time is running out—use time wisely in your search for the marrying man." Seriously? I would have waited until I was 80 if I had to. Even then, I wouldn't be in any kind of rush. I've known so many women who have some kind of mental timeline and ended up in a marriage with someone they didn't even know or like. I can agree with loving yourself, warning traits, character, and moving on from dead end relationships. Parts of the "What Kind of Women Get Married" just reeks of desperation. "Don't be the last one on the bus!" Ugh. Crap like that just irritates me.

Also, "Just relax and enjoy your stay on the pedestal (because it's likely to be brief)." Screw that. I'm still up there and I'm not coming down.

Oh, and I just had to comment on this:

"◦ Most men propose after going out with a woman for 18 months.

◦ If at the end of 22 months, a man has not proposed, the chances that he will start to diminish.

◦ For 3.5 years, the chances diminish gradually. After that, it plunges. After 7 years, your chances are virtually zero."

Phew!!! 6.5 years, I just barely made it!!!

O.K. I made it to the end. I have an idea. Stop looking. Be yourself. Don't ask. Don't follow a plan. Enjoy your relationship and let it progress naturally. And for god sakes, eat the ice cream and be a tubby if you want to!

Post edited by: bethb2004, at: 08/18/2011 04:08 PM

08/18/2011 07:00 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

hahahaha! I knew someone else would find this site quite interesting. It is about a book that was written by John T. Malloy. It starts out with this statement:

This book is based on over 3,000 interviews conducted by Molloy and his researchers.

Further down in the article, this little tip for women (lol Laughing) caught my eye:

"Consider unpolished jewels, men who are just as nice, intelligent, hard-working, but lack looks, height, or social skills."

In my opinion, I don't think men or women, either one, should overlook the "unpolished jewels" of the opposite sex when considering asking someone out for a date or possibly to marry. It is interesting that Malloy's researchers thought it noteworthy to mention that women shouldn't "overlook" a diamond in the rough, so to speak. But I think it is important for men to see this truth, as well.

Next little tidbit of info that caught my eye:

1. Men are attracted by the physical, but marry character

a. Newly engaged men said that what attracted them to their fiancées was how classy, positive, energetic, enthusiastic, and upbeat their future wives were.

i. While 68% gave a physical description of their fiancée, only 20% said that what attracted them was how gorgeous and sexy their fiancée was. Over 60% described their personalities, even if the women in question were very beautiful.

b. Therefore, be positive!

2. All wives are trophy wives—men marry women whom they admire and like to show off (but not for their physical appearance)

3. Dressing appropriately sends the message, “I am wife material.” Men marry women they perceive as “situational virgins” who move easily in their world.

a. Editor's note: In other words, don't dress like a ho. Men see a sexy outfit as an invitation to have sex.

b. Most men decide within 10 minutes of meeting a woman if she's appropriate for marriage, or just for a casual affair.

c. Over 80% of men said or bragged that their fiancée was the kind of woman they were proud to introduce to friends and family

d. Over 70% of men said that they knew that their future bride was a “nice girl” the minute they met

e. Only 7 out of 2,000 men interviewed said that their fiancée was dressed in a very sexy outfit when they met.

I kind of like what I read in that portion, if men actually believe that way....but I'm not sure I believe the part in parenthesis on #2....alls I'm sayin' Wink

So, I asked my hubby to give a little input....He said:

He doesn't agree w/the second part of 1a. He thinks #2 isn't true for most men. #3. Made him laugh. #3a He believes is true. #3b He thought was a joke. #3c He says that is true and that all men should be proud of their wives. #3d He says he doesn't know HOW that could be true, even though alot of people say it. #3e My hubby said I definitely wasn't wearing a sexy outfit the very first time we went out...he reminded me that I was wearing overalls on a college hayride...lol

I don't know if any guys will see this, but if you do, let us gals know what you find to be true or not....It's all in fun, anyway. Sumpthin' to lighten up things a little bit!

Post edited by: lollipop, at: 08/18/2011 07:20 PM

08/18/2011 08:11 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Mr. Malloy travelled in a time machine and interviewed women from 1952!!!!!

Seriously! "Don't be the last one on the bus." Marriage is a bus?

But the part I found most interesting (and had me laughing) was the part about good looking guys:

"4. If you want to marry a man who is more attractive than you, go for a very good-looking man because he will actually place less emphasis on looks. Women see their own looks as a gift of nature equal to or superior to brains and talent. In contrast, 67% of very good-looking men think of their looks as a minor asset, and say they would rather be smart, rich, or talented. Do the following:

a. Approach him. Very attractive men don't make passes at women because they don't have to.

b. Let him put you on a pedestal. Don't treat him any differently than you would another man, just because he's good-looking.

c. Let him see your talents and accomplishments. Very good-looking men often marry women who have qualities they lack—education, professional accomplishment, social standing, andambition.

d. Make demands on him. Advise him to go back to school or get a better job.

5. Making a good impression on his family is almost as important as making a good impression on him."

Dang! You mean I should have been making passes at hot guys all these years???? Why didn't somebody tell me!!!!!!

I agree that if you are dressed like a prostitute, you will likely not be viewed as wife material. What is the flip side to that? I think it would be this, addressed to men:

"Gentlemen, if you are wearing something that is stained, with the sleeves cut out, with your pants around your ankles and your underwear hanging out, and you are unkempt....the only woman you are likely to attract as a wife is hoarding cat lady who sees you as a person who won't object when she turns the tub into a massive litter box."

Post edited by: marriedtoit, at: 08/18/2011 08:49 PM

08/18/2011 09:07 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

LOL MARRIED!!!! Have you been watching "Hoarders" on television, again!!??? hahaha!

08/18/2011 09:38 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Lollipop, some of your daughters must have been looking for men when The Rules were the way to go.

Be a “Creature” Unlike Any Other

Don't Talk to a Man First (and Don't Ask Him to Dance)

Don't Stare at Men or Talk Too Much

Don't Meet Him Halfway or Go Dutch on a Date

Don't Call Him & Rarely Return His Calls

Always End Phone Calls and dates First

Don't Accept a Saturday Night Date after Wednesday.

Fill Up Your Time before the Date

How to Act on Dates 1,2, and 3

How to Act on Dates 4 through Commitment Time

ALWAYS end the date first

Stop Dating Him if He Doesn't Buy You a Romantic Gift for Your Birthday or Valentine's Day

Don't See Him More than Once or Twice a Week

No More than Casual Kissing on the First Date

Don't Rush into Sex, Wait at Least Three Dates

Don't Tell Him What to Do

Let Him Take the Lead

Don't Expect a Man to Change or Try to Change Him

Don't Open Up Too Fast

Be Honest but Mysterious

Accentuate the Positive & Other Rules for Personal Ads

Don't Live with a Man (or Leave Your Things in His Apartment)

Don't Date a Married Man

Slowly Involve Him in Your Family & Other Rules for Women with Children

Practice, Practice, Practice! (or, Getting Good at The Rules)

Even if You're Engaged or Married, You Still Need The Rules

Do The Rules, Even when Your Friends & Parents Think It's Nuts

Be Smart and Other Rules for Dating in High School

Take Care of Yourself and Other Rules for Dating in College

NEXT! & Other Rules for Dealing with Rejection

Don't Discuss The Rules with Your Therapist.

Don't Break The Rules!

Do The Rules and You'll Live Happily Ever After!

Love Only Those Who Love You

Be Easy to Live With

Grr. These just make me want to be an Exterminator! (I haven't watched the hoarding show in a while....but boy, watch a few of those and they are with you for a lifetime.....maybe I should go throw some stuff out right now!)

08/18/2011 09:43 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Actually, I agree with ONE of those. Don't accept a Saturday night date after Wednesday.

But "Don't discuss the rules with your therapist" was a clue that these were BAD NEWS.

08/18/2011 10:03 PM
bethb2004
bethb2004Posts: 813

I've actually done a few of those things with my husband, but it wasn't because a book told me to. I always returned phone calls, but rarely initiated them. I just kind of figured if he wanted to talk to me, he would call. Plus, I HATE being on the phone. We also only started out seeing each other once or twice a week and gradually increased our time together from there, until eventually he came over one day and never left. (Ooops. We lived together. FAIL!) Also, I waited on the sex thing for more than three dates. Oh, and he never let me pay for things, unless it was a round of drinks, so the dutch thing never happened either. And he did buy romantic gifts at first. Until he bought me a pot belly pig for Christmas....

08/18/2011 10:16 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

What's scary is to see young women all concerned about following some sort of "make him chase me" guidelines. Not being desperate--GOOD thing. Being so craven for male companionship that you count the number of emails you send (send ONE email to FIVE of his, said a more recent version of the rules)?---a recipe for disaster, I think.

Wait....I guess I just figured out what I hate about these things. They are about being DESPERATE. Only you are so desperate you act COY instead of just reaching out via phone or email or text.

The best advice I could give to anybody seeking a relationship? Be comfortable in your own skin first. Like yourself. Be okay with yourself. Enjoy your own company. Develop your own interests. A relationship should not fill up a hole inside you. A relationship should....okay, straining against this metaphor now....be like a new garden? Where you have to dig new holes to put in new productive plants?

Okay. Icky image. But hopefully you get what I meant....

08/19/2011 05:48 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

I have seen women who try sooo hard, seem sooo desperate, that they never are able to find anyone decent or for long term. My cousin was like that and my neighbor IS like that, I suspect. But I think when you live your life, stop looking, you will eventually bump into someone... OR not. It can't be the focus of anyone's life. I think when you start thinking like the guy who wrote these "rules", you live an unfulfilling life thinking you SHOULD have so much more and if you don't, there's something wrong with YOU, not all the choices that are out there.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved