MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2012 10:26 AM

Cognitive Disfunction

ilovemckenzi

Hubs and I went to the pdoc yesterday. I asked about his inability to follow a conversation acurately - that happens sometimes. She has observed it in her office as well. She said it was cognitive disfunction. I looked up a few articles online and thought some of you might like to read this one.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/457153

I am at work - I'll post this weekend.

mckenzie

04/27/2012 03:37 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

My husband has had intellectual problems for about 4 months now, so this really interests me. I couldn't open your link but let me post one of my own. It really behooves us to read this--it is yet another reason why it is REALLY important to stop episodes (of depression OR mania) before they start.

http://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/cogdys_manual/CogDysHndbk.htm

04/27/2012 05:59 PM
Kitkat777
Kitkat777  

I cried reading this. I just feel so sad when I think of all the implications of BP. I don't think I can fully appreciate what this means to my husbands self esteem and sense of self. He is so intelligent abd capable. But I have noticed him doubting himself and being unsure.

It's really difficult.

04/27/2012 08:43 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Kitkat, don't worry too much about this yet! I know that cognitive problems are not universal. It really varies.

But yes, it is very very sad to think what happens when bipolar disorder isn't treated....

04/27/2012 08:57 PM
Kitkat777
Kitkat777  

Thanks Married. It's is unsettling. I know he worries about this. Just the part about not trusting his perception. It must be very humbling to not be sure if you can trust your own view of things.

04/28/2012 06:30 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

People with bp who have supportive spouses are very lucky...they have someone to help them check their perception, make sure their thinking is on target. Try not to worry about this too much if you don't see any issues right now. If your husband is worried about it, tell him that getting and staying stable will really help.

04/28/2012 09:45 AM
updownaround

I've had so many ah-ha moments since I came to this site. I always thought this was "just him". Being distracted, not being able to complete simple tasks, being forgetful... I didn't realize these were associated with bipolar. It's so frustrating to him, and it keeps him from being successful in professional situations. I guess there's some more research to do now...

04/28/2012 01:51 PM
cmjo

This is so interesting. I just didnt get how he never listens to me, talks to me, understands me, or the kids....maybe he just cant.

04/29/2012 09:21 PM
ilovemckenzi

Since the manic this past Fall - and particularly since being put on Lithium this last month, my h has been having difficulty remembering things at work. He has his own business doing home repair. Recently, he has had to turn off the water to do some minor repairs, and at 3 different homes, he has neglected to turn the water back on. Friday, he was at my school and he got a phone call from a client. He had forgotten to turn the water back on and he needed to go back to the house. He looked as though he would cry. I hugged him and said it will be ok. He decided to tell the clients that he has been on a new med and in adjusting to it, he thinks he is forgetting stuff. They were over the top understanding. He even told them he was bp. The wife has unipolar depression - she is in her 70's. They really encouraged my h to take care of himself and they gave him a book to read, too. It all turned out well. I think a lot of people are very understanding, if you give them a chance. It helps that my h is the sweetest man - and very honest. His clients know this about him, and this was a repeat customer.

The pdoc said that Lithium can have this side effect. But, she doesn't want him off of it yet. She said, if it is too bad for him, she is going to try depakote.

Thanks for listening.

04/30/2012 04:25 AM
Silverlock
Silverlock  
VIP Member

ilovemckenzi, Maybe you can sit down with your husband and yall can make a "checklist" for each type of job he does. That way he has something to look at and remember while he is working.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved