MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2012 04:57 AM

Circadian rythms

enoughalready
enoughalreadyPosts: 1409

I have been having some issues with my 17 yr old. He is not the son I think has BP but now I am wondering. He is the kindest kid, always thoughtful always caring. But he is the one who was diagnosed with ADD when he was a kid; he used to talk nonstop at times. We used to have to tell him to stop. I always felt so bad, telling him to stop talking, he never said anything wrong, just nonstop talking with barley breathing lol, try that for a 8 hour ride for vacation.

Anyway back to Circadian Rhythms. My BPSO has had his rhythm off as long as I have known him, he prefers to go to bed around 5 am and sleep till 1 or 2pm the next day. I hate it; it makes life hard for us sometimes. He has a periods of time done better, maybe gotten up for work or school early in an attempt to fix it but always falls right back to it. They, his family, all say it runs on his dad's side of the family. BP comes from his mom side of the family. I have always told him he just needs to make himself get up, well getting older and more educated I see it might not be so simple. I wonder if it has anything to do with having BP, that is my first thought about it, I have often suspected his dad of having BP also, he sure seems to act like it. But my perception is a little skewed having gone through so much with my BPSO. Anyway, my son has begun to have this sleeping pattern and now tries to say "it runs in the family, Grandpa does it, dad does it and now me" I don't want him to grow up having the issues BPSO has, it really is dysfunctional way of living, being up at night when the rest of the world is sleeping, he can't do things like normal people, his social life and career suffer because of it and it makes things harder for me, like today I was going to take my car into the shop but he won't get up till 2 then has to be to work at 3.

I guess I am feeling a little frustrated by this. Do you all think it could be BP related or do you think it is something else.

Sorry I am kind of rambleing, I am leaving for work in a few min, so I don't have time to make it pretty!!

04/27/2012 07:19 AM
WornOut2
WornOut2  

The circadian rhythms of teenagers are "off." Scientific fact. Given their druthers, both of mine would be up until 1 or 2 in the morning - especially my daughter, who has stayed up as late as 4 AM. And I know this because she has sent emails to me at that time, LOL Tongue Laughing Tongue Laughing (not too smart, eh)

Since they have to be at school at 7:30, staying up late is not an option during the week - although my daughter has ALWAYS been a lousy sleeper and although she goes to bed by 11, she reports she often does not fall asleep until 1 or 2. Thus, she comes home from school everyday and takes a several hour nap.

04/27/2012 01:41 PM
ridingthewaves
ridingthewavesPosts: 1496

I am no help, other than to tell you I understand. My bpso has the same crappy sleep schedule. Even if I can get him to go to bed at a decent time, he STILL sleeps until at least noon, unless he is hypo. For example last night, he went to bed with me at around midnight, and slept until 1:30!!! I understand how frustrating it can be when you want/need help for day to day life and they are too busy sleeping to help!

I have "helped" him get on a normal schedule many times, only to have him slowly fall back into his 'normal' sleep pattern. I hate it. Especially in the winter, he hardly gets any sunshine!

04/27/2012 01:56 PM
hopefulcb
hopefulcb  
Group Leader

Enough, before my eldest (14 1/2) went off add meds and went on an ad and abilify, he was up texting and couldn't sleep (we took his computer away or Im sure he would do that too)til around 12 or 1. Since he went on the new meds he goes to bed at 8:30 and sleeps til 6am. Before, he would still get up early and be ready for school, but now he gets the rest he needs for a full High School day. Even on weekends now, he goes to bed at 10 and gets up at 8am, which is good because I am an early riser 7 days, so it is nice to be able to get up and go to errands before everyone else does...lol

Hubby when manic, stayed up til 3 or 4, slept til 2 or 3, I hated it!!!!!! It did not go with my schedule at all. Now on meds, he goes to bed 11 or 12 and gets up aroun 8, much better. On weekends we both stay up later.

04/27/2012 03:35 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

It is a recipe for BAD if a bipolar person is not sleeping when it is dark and waking when it is light. I can't find anything less scientific at the moment, but there is alot of new research about this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18519522

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx? articleID=99957

Oh! Here is a link Hopeful posted not that long ago about light and dark:

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightDark.htm

While I am a pasting fool, there IS research on how puberty changes circadian rhythms too:

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightDark.htm

Teens PLUS bipolar in the house = YIKES!!!!!***

(****obscenity edited out ahead of time)

04/27/2012 05:04 PM
enoughalready

Ok so the educated women in me says, Ok so maybe I have to consider my 17 yr old might have BP to, but the mother in me says no way. ugghh is it denial or parental instinct.

I will have to wait and see what the future brings for this kid. He has not been on any meds in years for ADD or anything else. He seemed to have outgrown the talking and other ADD issues.

Thanks for all the research, I remember others posting about sleep issues but I just wondered if BPSO was different because it is not only when he is manic, his sleeping has always been off. Most of the time he manages 6 hrs at a time, it just happens to be in the day time.

Post edited by: enoughalready, at: 04/27/2012 05:05 PM

04/28/2012 08:30 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

If people are sleeping during the day, when they are tired, it is almost a guarantee that they won't sleep at night. i.e. taking a nap after school, sleeping til noon. Working at 3 until what...11:30? That makes sense--the sleeping during the day. When I worked 2nd shift many years ago, I would stay up until 2 and sleep until 10, then go to work at 1:30. I wouldn't worry about it too much if this is his schedule, enough. As far as your son, he has school during the week, so hopeful's suggestion makes sense to have him stay on the same schedule 7 days a week. Letting kids stay up late on weekends kind of screws their sleep schedules up come Monday morning. I know it's really hard for kids to do this, but it really makes life difficult if they don't. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's 10:30 am and I need to wake up my husband!!! I think I'll try a cup of coffee and give him a project.

Wornout, if your daughter doesn't nap after school, will she go to bed and sleep at a decent hour? I'm thinking it would happen. I don't know if she would do something after school to keep her busy. She'd probably go to bed at 8!

04/28/2012 12:20 PM
enoughalready

For the most part that makes sense wife, the problem comes in when he has had jobs or school during the day and can't function normal under those circumstances. He would come home from work and go right to bed at 3 or 4 and sleep till 8 or 9 then be up all night. He was getting the sleep he needed but not being productive. That's kind of why he took a job afternoons, except that does not work well either cause then he is not getting enough sun light or being able to function in society. He used to get depressed cause he would sit in the house all night alone, cause we were all sleeping and no one was up all night till he met that group at AA, the one with the two women we had issues with, then it became in his mind "we are not compatible because you sleep at night, she gets me cause she is a "Vampire" just like me" Really? I just see the same thing happening here, with his sleep, not sure what to do about it. Getting up at 10 or even 12 would help cause then he would have day light and hours to do things before work.

Sorry venting now, lol. Same issue this morning, I did not get to take my car in again, lol. Think I am going to have to find someone to take me to drop it off.

I did make my son get up at noon today, I am just going to try pushing him into fixing it!!

Post edited by: enoughalready, at: 04/28/2012 06:33 PM

04/28/2012 01:10 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Enough, I know how difficult it is! I deal with it a LOT here, too. I gave my husband his coffee at 10:30, actually two cups, and then asked him to fix the closet pole in my daughter's closet. It fell down the other day and I wanted him to not only fix it, but replace it with a longer pole going the length of the closet instead the width. That took a little doing. But I think I figured out his problem, FINALLY. He hasn't had a fully functioning e-cig for a few days and I think the nicotine really helps to get him going, too. He always puts off ordering more stuff for his e-cig until he's out! So I had to let him buy a pack of cigs! Sad

Anyway, he got ready and went to his internship job. I asked him to get up tomorrow morning and go to church with us. I hope he is able to, he's missed the last 6 weeks or so.

I know there are people who are more like night owls (married included) but getting things done and being responsible are part of that lifestyle, too. Just because people like to stay up late doesn't mean they should sleep their life away, especially when they are married and have kids.

04/28/2012 06:41 PM
enoughalready

Ya when I quit smoking I slept a lot, I think it helps!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved