MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/20/2012 11:01 AM

Tell us about your pets!(page 2)

sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3687
Group Leader

Lol about watching TV with the chickens! :0

We have 2 dogs and a cat. They are our "kids," too. Our house is popular with the grandkids because of the cat, the dogs, as well as a stash of toys.

Sunny is a toy poodle; we originally bought him for our daughter, but when she left home we got custody of him. He's my faithful companion (until our daughter comes over, then I'm chopped liver.)

Lucy is a lab/pointer mix about 3 years old. We were looking for a large dog to take the place of one who was killed by a car, and found her in a newspaper advertisement. She was a neglected puppy, but so cute. She's still a little high strung, but we love her. My husband takes the 2 of them on long walks. They were especially good to him before he was stabilized.

Tootsie is a grey tabby cat, about 10 years old. A sweet, people-loving cat, she makes friends with everyone who visit, including the little grandchildren. She just looks resigned when they maul her, and runs away when she's had enough. She sleeps with my husband when she can sense that he needs the attention.

We've had dogs most of the time that we've been together. My favorite was Cindy, our Swedish Shepherd. One time the boys lured her up into the treehouse, and then she couldn't figure out how to get down! (They finally put the garbage can under the tree and gave her hot dogs, along with a gentle push.)

02/20/2012 11:15 AM
kalissalea
kalissalea  

I have a cat, she is 8 years old and is wonderful. Just a domestic short hair, nothing special. Cuddles with me every night since my husband left. It helps so much to have a friends around...even if that friend has four legs.

02/20/2012 01:27 PM
hopefulcb
hopefulcb  
Group Leader

We have three dogs, two are pekingnese and one is a shichon. The pks are ages 6 and 3, named Button and Cotton, and the shichon is named Gordon and he is 1 and 2 months. They definitely helped me when my husband was gone, we too share the love for our dogs and him not being able to be with them when manic hurt more than him not seeing the boys. They definitely were a distraction....but a welcomed one.

02/20/2012 05:36 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Cotton is the one in your profile picture, right hopeful? So cute!

02/20/2012 08:28 PM
grace72891
grace72891  

We have had many pets over the years. At one point we had 6 or 7, then dropped down to 2. Now we have 5. Most of our pets have been rescues. My husband has a dog, Roca, who I nicknamed Psycho Dog. He really reminds me of a happy manic version of my husband sometimes. Haha He is very hyper. He is a mix of Golden Retriever, Saint Bernard and some sort of husky. He is very sweet.

My youngest son has an aquatic turtle, Dexter. He doesn't do much besides swim around his tank. Haha The house we just bought has a pond in the backyard that we are going to put him as his new habitat in the next couple of months. We think he will like it.

We have a cat, Kyla. She is what I think they call a gray tabby. She is supposed to be my cat but my oldest son is her favorite person in the house. My husband and I tie in second place and she really doesn't care for my youngest son or either of my daughters because they all either smother her or take out their frustrations on her, which they get punished for doing. She sleeps with me when my husband is gone working.

I have a dog, Ella. She is a mix as well. Black Lab and we don't know what else. She is very sweet and obedient. But does get corrupted by Roca at times. Haha Half the time she sleeps with me while my husband is working. She and Kyla take turns. Neither she nor Roca bother Kyla but she instinctively hates them. If they walk too close to her, even if they don't notice her, she will hiss and growl at them and bat them with her paw. It's hilarious!

I also have a white rabbit, Thumper. I tried to name him that in French but the word "thump" doesn't technically exist in French. I chose Thumper because if I get too close to him he will thump his hind leg on the floor. He is very skittish. He was a rescue, and I have only had him for less then a year. He makes me very happy but my husband absolutely hates him. He has chewed so many cords in the house! Nothing I have bought for him to chew seems to be an acceptable substitute to him.

When there are times that I feel sad or stressed about my husband the attention I get from Kyla or Ella and the time I take to work with getting familiar with Thumper makes me feel peaceful.

Post edited by: grace72891, at: 02/20/2012 08:30 PM

Post edited by: grace72891, at: 02/20/2012 08:34 PM

02/20/2012 08:41 PM
hopefulcb
hopefulcb  
Group Leader

Yes thats Cotton Smile

02/20/2012 10:01 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

We still have our "Ears for Cotton" fundraising going on! (LOL)

We have two cats here. The female is a longhair and is about a year and a half older than the male, who is a purebred cat with a propensity for obesity. Oh, he also loves laying on his back!

It was my husband's idea to get more than one cat, so they can keep each other company. And wow. They do! They copy each other, learn from each other, torment each other, play with each other.

They are both by my side when I am here--one at my feet and the other always draped over some part of my legs.

Yall who have chickens, I guess you can't be on the computer while you and your chickens are watching TV? Won't they peck the keyboard?

Animals rock. I love them all.

02/21/2012 12:04 AM
chelle005
chelle005Posts: 2472
VIP Member

My son wanted a puppy for his birthday. We went to the shelter and found a mommy and her puppy. They were going to be put done the next day. They had just had an animal hoarder situation come in so there were so many and we went to a small town outside our city,so not as many people to adopt. They were free that day.Mommy was not fixed since she was free. She still nurses puppy.She is a Schnauzer and puppy (Scruffy) is mixed with the neighbor dog.

Today I was looking at Angel (momma dog) and she is getting very big. I hope it is because my 2 yr old shares all of her food with her like gogurts,green beans,juice boxes (that is so cute, she sticks the juice box straw in her face and yells EAT,like a dog knows what to do with a straw) I fear that the belly may be bigger then green beans!!!!

Do you think the pound would give me a prego dog? Maybe that is why they did not fix her? Yikes!

02/21/2012 03:41 AM
bethb2004
bethb2004Posts: 813

My guess is she's enjoying all the extra food. How old is the puppy? If she just had puppies, and is still nursing them, it would be near impossible for her to be pregnant again. She has to go into a new heat cycle for that to happen, and that will usually be at least three to six months after giving birth. Or, it could be a false pregnancy.

02/21/2012 04:38 PM
chelle005
chelle005Posts: 2472
VIP Member

Puppy is 6 months Uh oh...Hope it is the well,pancakes for breakfast,apple for snack,soup for lunch yogurt, and we are having chicken for dinner. My daughter is a silly girl. Just think all my other dogs had the no people food rule.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved