MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2012 11:34 AM

Caffeine and Bipolar

grace72891
grace72891  

I was wondering if any of your spouse's psychiatrists instructed them not to drink caffeine. I am wondering if caffeine consumption can cause a person to go into a manic or hypomanic state. Anyone know anything?

01/10/2012 11:45 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Ours basically said moderation. One or two cups a day is ok. It's the quadruple espresso my husband used to drink that got me worried. It's only occasionally, now. I think excessive caffeine can really mess with the psych meds, just like anything else. It's better for us all not to have any caffeine, but that particular drug is a huge part of our culture. It's all a matter of moderation.

Check with his pdoc for the final word.

01/10/2012 11:50 AM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Too much caffeine certainly is BAD for untreated people and most pdocs recommend no caffeine or, like Wife said, moderate amounts. My husband drinks on the high side of moderate amounts...but when he was untreated and manic...watch out. I actually dumped out a whole pound of coffee once (if you knew how cheap I am...) and substituted decaf for it....to try to get him to slow down....

01/10/2012 12:13 PM
grace72891
grace72891  

The thing is he doesn't drink caffeine in front of me very often because I tell him he shouldn't drink it. He's a very sneaky guy! I only know he's been drinking it because he told me. Haha Not sure how I am going to get control of his caffeine consumption that way.

01/10/2012 12:19 PM
justhurt
justhurt  

None after 5PM is our rule. My wife usually drinks 1 or 2 glasses a day. We got an espresso machine so that intake has increased a smidgen. That said, by dinner there is no more caffeine intake - including myself (I have a difficult time sleeping for lots of reasons... I never was much of a long term sleeper but now that I don't drink alcohol and I have stress related anxiety it's a bit of a mess...)

But I dont think caffeine causes manic behavior... it exacerbates an already exacerbated situation - makes someone a bit of a spaz but actual spin... no. It will keep them up at night and disrupt their sleep schedules and makes their sleep less effective. In that way, it's very bad for them.

Unfortunately, it's one vice that myself nor my wife can give up Wink

(as an ex-smoker, apparently ex-drinker, and ex-other things this is just the one last gasp I have! Smile)

-justhurt.

01/10/2012 12:38 PM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3690
Group Leader

Mine cut way back on caffeine intake and says he feels much better without it in his system. He especially avoids it in the evening.

01/10/2012 03:24 PM
hopefulcb
hopefulcb  
Group Leader

My husband's also said in moderation and not to drink it after 5pm or so. I usually don't drink anything after 6pm anyway so now neither of us do, unless he drinks water.

01/10/2012 04:31 PM
KenDad5

I've read many posts here about how caffeine will affect bp meds. A lady in my office is bp and drinks coffee all day long. I think her dr. treats her only for depression though. Too bad.

01/10/2012 06:04 PM
chuckels82

Post edited by: chuckels82, at: 05/14/2013 10:16 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved