MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2012 10:35 PM

What Does Bipolar Mania Look Like?

lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

It is difficult to differentiate between hypomania and full blown mania, at times. I have NO PROBLEM with knowing full-blown mania when I see it, but am still trying to readily recognize hypomanic behavior in my husband, so I can help him quickly, before it might escalate on into full blown mania.

THIS POOR GUY. HE IS MANIC AND DOING HIS BEST TO TRY TO STAY FOCUSED FOR THESE INTERVIEWS. IT'S INTERESTING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-znjojBojc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWkXVxIVwc&feature=related

Below you can see a little grandiosity and psychosis. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahfwEgpIAWg&feature=related

Below are some youtube videos of a woman describing the difference between when she has hypomania and when she is full-blown manic. She does a good job of expressing herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoJY-8bdpEs

THEN HERE IS THE SAME WOMAN WHILE SHE IS SLIPPING INTO MANIA......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LNXvEwx_i0&feature=related

She is to be commended, she is trying sooooo hard to help others understand what is going on.

HERE SHE IS SHARING ABOUT ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS AND WHAT SHE FEELS A PERSON WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER NEEDS... IN A PERSON WHO IS SHARING A RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DS2VTDjRLgE& feature=endscreen

Post edited by: lollipop, at: 01/08/2012 10:44 PM

01/09/2012 11:35 AM
grace72891
grace72891  

Thanks for posting these. I was up WAY too late last night watching them. Especially the girl's videos. They were so enlightening and informative! I saw so many similarities between her, that man in the two videos and my husband. It really helped me to understand how none of it has anything to do with me. He has so many mental distractions that he can't even focus on anything I say or do enough to let it really affect him. I ended up watching some other ones she posted too.

She also posted one that shed some light on some strange sleep/dream behaviors my husband has about once a month. hypnogagogic (not sure if I spelled it right, can hardly pronounce it) hallucinations that some bipolar people have. Friends and family keep telling me it is nothing but they also weren't watching it. They were just listening to me trying to describe it. Apparently it is something.

Even though it helped me understand better, I certainly didn't feel more hopeful. In fact, I felt less hopeful listening to her talk about how much she was struggling with the meds.

Post edited by: grace72891, at: 01/09/2012 11:39 AM

01/09/2012 05:31 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

If you can't watch videos where you are, here is a link to a website with text:

www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/hypomania-mania- symptoms

01/09/2012 07:24 PM
chuckels82

Thanks, Marriedtoit!

01/09/2012 08:04 PM
girlyju
girlyju  

grace, can you describe this dream phenomenon more? TY!

01/10/2012 01:36 AM
grace72891
grace72891  

Girlyju, it is something that I am just starting to see. In May of 2010 we went on a hiking trip to Yosemite for our anniversary and the second night he fell asleep on the bed. I was watching television and submitting some college coursework. I had the television volume turned down low and he usually sleeps through television or anything really. But that night he kept sort of waking up, rolling around and trying to push something that wasn't there away from his head. He kept saying things like, "Shut up, stop it, leave me alone, no." This continued for about another hour after I shut off the television and went to bed. The next morning he told me he kept waking up because he kept hearing voices. I chalked it up to being the television even though he has never been distubed by it before.

It has happened other times since then. He will be sleeping and will suddenly sit up or prop himself up and have his eyes wide open and will say strange things. Most of the time we are in bed in our room when he does it and he swears and says things like go away or you are stupid, you don't know what you are talking about. Once in awhile he will laugh and say something strange. Like back in June we planted our first organic vegetable garden. He and my sons prepped the soil and I hoed and planted the plants. The next night we were watching a movie, and he fell asleep on the livingroom floor in front of the television. For about an hour he kept waking up, sitting up and looking at me and saying nasty things. I don't remember what he said, I just remember that he seemed upset about something. Then one time he sat and looked at me and said, "You hoed very good rows." Then he laid down and closed his eyes and slept, then he propped himself up on his elbow and pointed at me and started laughing, with a laugh as though he was making fun of me. Then he abruptly laid back down and closed his eyes and slept. It is always abrupt. Abruptly sitting up and saying something, then abruptly laying back down and closing his eyes.

In one of the videos that were posted on YouTube by that girl whose videos Lollipop posted above last night, the girl was talking about hallucinations, and she mentioned hypnagogic hallucinations. http://www.hypnagogichallucinations.com/hypnagogic- hallucinations

This is one of the links I found when I looked it up. I lost the others. As I recall they were described as hallucinations that occur as a person is about to either wake up or fall asleep. Many of us will experience it once in awhile and we will get the sensation as though we are falling. Some people experience more than that, like my husband. He does it about once a month. One thing I read said that if it happening regularly medical treatment should be sought. I still need to read more about it. I don't know if it is common in bipolar or not.

Post edited by: grace72891, at: 01/10/2012 01:39 AM

12/04/2012 03:19 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

I'M BUMPING THIS THREAD FOR NEWBIES, ESPECIALLY FOR GUYS WHO ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEIR SO'S MAY BE THINKING OR IN TRYING TO HELP ANY OF US TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN HYPO AND FULLBLOWN MANIA.

Post edited by: lollipop, at: 12/04/2012 04:27 PM

12/05/2012 10:04 AM
chuckels82

Post edited by: chuckels82, at: 05/14/2013 12:52 PM

12/05/2012 03:19 PM
herother

Wow. That lady's videos are just stunning. Watching the manic one, I just kept thinking "bless your heart." What a struggle they have. Your heart really goes out when you see something like that.

12/06/2012 07:36 AM
mem5764

Lollipop - thank you for sharing these videos. I'm curious, she mentioned in her psychosis youtube video about not going off her medication again. Is this why she had her second episode?

Besides stopping the medication, what other things can trigger an episode?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved