MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/10/2011 08:37 AM

Mental Health Awareness Week

sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3753
Group Leader

I saw that this is Mental Health Awareness week. I read this article from the BBC magazine, and want to share the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15213824

10/10/2011 11:09 AM
innerglow
innerglow  
Group Leader

Thanks for posting that, Sally! I haven't really thought about it although I am very aware at how much OCD, Bipolar and Schizophrenia are thrown around. I saw a facebook post once that said: Bipolar Smile : ) :

I actually thought it was kinda funny. But, I can see how people can be offended. My 12 year old daughter uses the term OCD to describe many of her friends. She relates it to being very clean.

After reading the article, I can relate this to when I was younger and we used to call things "gay". We really didn't mean any offense, but that didn't make it right. I like that the article pointed out that at least people are talking about it. Now, they just need to get their facts straight.

Thanks!!

Post edited by: innerglow, at: 10/10/2011 11:11 AM

10/10/2011 07:58 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Great article, Sally! Thanks for sharing!

10/10/2011 08:19 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

This gets on my nerves too, and I AM GUILTY AS WELL! I sometimes will say "That must be my OCD coming out."

I will try to be more mindful.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved