MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/31/2011 05:44 PM

Clonazepam

newlywedbp

Has anyone else's bpso been using clonazepam for an extended period of time?

My husband just read this terrifying article the other night that stated you should only be on it short term, like 2-3 weeks max. He has been on this now at least a couple of months. He is also on Valium, both of which are addictive and I was worried about that from day one.

I'm just curious if the two are typically used in conjunction for bp, and how long people stay on it.

Thanks!

05/31/2011 06:23 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

My husband has Clonazapam readily available in the event his anxiety gets tooooo bad. The pdoc told my husband to take it as a very last resort when feeling anxious. He said he doesn't want my husband to get to where he is dependent on the Clonozapam. We have found that my husband can make through the anxiety fairly good by using some other coping techniques. Maybe your husband could consider finding other ways to handle things and lay off the Clonazapam or cut the dosage in half and titrate down slowly--with the pdoc's approval OF COURSE!! Smile

05/31/2011 06:23 PM
taylynn
taylynn  

yes clonzapam (klonapin) is addictive as well as valium. used for axiety..my bps was not on any of that, but honestly needed it..(however being a previous drug addict) I think is why the doc wouldn't prescribe it..I'm not sure why he would need both of those, but I'm no doctor Smile it can help them sleep as well

05/31/2011 07:10 PM
innerglow
innerglow  
Group Leader

The only way that I have seen it successfully work is if it is only taken as needed. My hubby used to abuse them taking way too many at a time. I keep those meds on me now and I make sure that he has at least 2 in his possession. I am happy to say that they do the job and he only takes one if he is in panic mode. It all depends on the person, I guess. I don't agree with those type of pills being taken on a set schedule.

05/31/2011 07:22 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

My husband takes ativan or lorazepam which is similar to clonozapam. All I can say is if we didn't have that med today (it's a prn) he would have probably lost it and I may have had to call 911 again. Luckily, he had a therapy appt. today and his prn. He made it through fine. But tomorrow is another day. Wish us the same luck.

I'm not too keen on these types of drugs being used daily. Seems a bit dangerous to take an addictive drug everyday. I can see my husband wanting to take the pill instead of trying other coping skills, but at this point, he hasn't been stable long enough, but he has been working on it. Now about 6 weeks since the last major episode.

05/31/2011 09:41 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

newlywedbp,

let me start by saying: I am not a doctor. I only base what I say on my reading and my experience.

BUT SOMETHING SEEMS REALLY REALLY OFF with your husband's meds! These are not drugs that are supposed to be taken every day. And clonazepam PLUS valium? I just don't think that is a good combo. These benzo drugs are addictive and they take a while to get out of the body. Let me attach a couple links for you to look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines

These drugs are primarily for anxiety. People with bipolar disorder are TYPICALLY (not always) given a scrip for these drugs to take AS NEEDED for the anxieties that might lead to episodes. Our pdoc does not want my husband using more than five of these in any 3 day period or any 7 in a 10 day period.

Is your husband seeing an actual psychiatrist? I ask because it just sounds like, to me, that he might be getting his meds from a GP, a family doctor, who does not realize your husband is bipolar and is just responding to the symptoms your husband tells him about. If you do research on these drugs, you will find that your husband is using them in a way that the manufacturers don't recommend. So...I would research and call whoever is prescribing them for him right away! (unless...could your hubs be getting some of these on the street?)

Keep posting. I am really worried about you after hearing this!

05/31/2011 09:48 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

Added: Newlywed, I just read your diary entry and now am REALLY worried. What meds is your husband on? If he has bipolar, he needs to be on a mood stabilizer that he takes every single day. And he might need an anti-psychotic, if he is imagining that you are making out with your one male (gay) co-worker.

Your language in your diary of making no sudden moves...that really worries me. Prey makes no sudden moves in the presence of a predator. Are you safe? If not please get away from him or call 911 as soon as you can. Please post and tell us how you are when you get a chance.

06/01/2011 08:13 AM
ridingthewaves
ridingthewavesPosts: 1494

I am sure that my doctor treats me totally different than my BPSO dr does. In dealing with my BPSO I have developed anxiety. My doctor wrote me a script to take clonazepam nightly. Also he wrote me a script for xanax for a PRN. The reason he went with clonazepam daily is due to its long half life. Which also is the reason why out of all benzo's that is about the only one that would be used daily. Because of it's long half life there is LESS of an addictive quality to it compared to xanax, ativan, valium. Basically it is harder to get "high" off of clonazepam at the prescribed dose. Of course this is only my opinion and I am not a doctor by any means.

06/01/2011 08:28 AM
behindthemask

I am taking clonazepam for anxiety, my husband was for awhile, but he does better with xanax for a prn, it kicks in faster for him anyway. It does seem strange that he would have both that and valium, they basically are for the same thing. Usually they offset the anxiety med with an anti-depressant, and mood stabilizer (here i go, my husband has yet to get the mood stabilizer, but the xanax is helping for now). I have been taking mine for 6 months, and have read the same thing, however my pdoc hasn't indicated that I need to get off of it yet, so idk. I would like to get off of it, but it has helped me to cope. I think xanax is a benzo too, and also addictive, however, the benefits to me outweigh the negatives at this point in my household and IMO at least. I understand your concerns, and I think the only reason to get off is bc of the addictive possibilities? I have cut back to one a day and haven't had a problem, but I do know you have to cut back slowly bc there are side effects otherwise. I wouldn't do anything without the doctor's knowledge and advise though.

I agree with RTW, xanax I think is more addicting bc it kicks in quicker...

Post edited by: behindthemask, at: 06/01/2011 08:29 AM

06/02/2011 10:15 AM
newlywedbp

Marriedtoit,

He is currently on Lithium, 600 mg which he just started about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Emsam 12mg patch for depression, then the valium AND clonazepam for anxiety. The valium is for the daytime, clonazepam each night for anxiety he was experiencing every morning upon waking up. And I definitely agree that he doesn't need TWO anti-anxiety meds, and definitely not on a daily doseage.

He is seeing a psychiatrist, but one that I do not like and do not agree with. We are working on getting him in with the doc who gave him his second opinion on the bp diagnosis, but were told yesterday that they cannot for sure see him on a regular basis. UGH!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved