MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/06/2011 12:38 PM

A LIttle Ray of Sunshine

WornOut2
WornOut2  

Could it be? Something positive to post for a change? At the risk of jinxing myself……

Since last Thursday, I have noticed that my husband seems much less depressed. His temprament has seemed a little more evened out. His phone calls to me during the work day sound much less stressed and down.

Last Thursday, he went out immediately after work to help a fellow club member cook for an international service organization fundraising dinner on Friday. On Friday, he went out immediately after work to help with that fundraiser and did not return until late evening. On Saturday night, a friend of his actually convinced him to meet him at a bar to hear a live band, so we were actually out of the house from 8:30 PM until almost midnight. On Sunday, he took a several mile walk with a friend in the morning and jammed on guitars with another friend in the evening. He had an amazingly productive day at work on Monday and got all of his grades in before the Tuesday night deadline. Last night, he shooed me out the door as soon as I got home from work to take our daughter shoe shopping for her semi formal and he made dinner. For my husband who usually comes home from work and hides out in his man cave all evening (except for an appearance for dinner), all of this activity and interest in life is absolutely HUGE.

I questioned him about it last night. He said he is not “happy,” he is not even feeling “neutral” however he is feeling less sad than he has been. Not “positive” yet, but at least, maybe, possibly, moving in that direction. Maybe it was getting out of that friggin man cave. Maybe it was the fact that the pdoc doubled his Abilify exactly three weeks ago this past Thursday. Maybe it is a combination of the two. I don't know. I don't care. I just hope he keeps feeling less down than he has been. It would be such a relief to me if he could find a little relief from all of this suffering.

I AM SO EXCITED! W00t W00t W00t W00t

Post edited by: WornOut2, at: 04/06/2011 12:38 PM

04/06/2011 12:51 PM
behindthemask

Enjoy it!! Mine has been acting really "nice" lately too... I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts! LOL - Maybe the weather helps? I know it sure helps my mood!

Hopefully those meds are kicking in and will keep him stable - I guess it takes a while to really work right.

Happy for you Smile

04/06/2011 01:47 PM
hopefulcb
hopefulcb  
Group Leader

Well you deserve this time! Enjoy it, and I hope it continues on and on and on......

04/06/2011 02:14 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

I'm so happy for you, wornout!! When my husband started getting off of the couch and getting back into life, hanging with friends, I was so happy, too!! It's a very good sign that he is doing better. It is a relief for you, you have really been going through a rough patch lately with him. This is great news! Yeah!!!!

04/06/2011 03:07 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

Hope everything keeps going well!!!!

04/06/2011 08:16 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
Group Leader

I hope this lasts too, Wornout! It seems like a common theme here is that he was doing things, not just sitting in his Mancave. Volunteering, helping a friend, going to hear music.

What great news!

04/07/2011 02:09 AM
Muggins
MugginsPosts: 169

THAT IS GREAT NEWS! I feel like doing friggin handstands and cartwheels all around my office right now!! I believe it is the Abilify because you have to remember it normally takes about 3 to 6 weeks for the meds to start taking effect. I pray and believe it will only get better from here!

Much love and Hugs

M

04/08/2011 12:38 PM
WornOut2
WornOut2  

I knew it wouldn't last forever, but I was hoping it would last longer. Yesterday he was in a decidedly black mood. Cranky, irritable & more depressed. At least he recognized it and admitted it.

I have no one to "blame" but myself. I said no the previous night. Shame on me! Got a ration of "his version of reality" yesterday morning. I feigned listening. Actually, it is a familiar tape so it went in one ear and out the other.

He is much better today, so maybe yesterday was only a step backwards in our quest for a more positive mood. And at least it is Friday, so here's hoping the weekend helps his frame of mind.

04/08/2011 01:39 PM
chuckels82

Well, I hope your weekend is a good one. I know how frustrating it can be to get your hopes up that things are improving, only to be met once again with the "black mood." They're on a roller coaster, and we're along for the ride. I've decided that I can only control myself. I can help my bf, and try to make his days as good as possible. He can respond to my kindness and my intuitive actions and behave accordingly, or he can lash out at me regardless (I experienced this for the first time this past Wednesday). The fact of the matter is that I have to make sure I'm okay. If I'm a rock (healthy in mind, body, and spirit), then he can draw more strength from me.

So, take care of yourself this weekend. Do something you enjoy. Make yourself feel good. And hopefully, he'll take his cue from your good vibes, and you'll both enjoy an outstanding weekend.

Take care!

Chuckels Smile

04/08/2011 10:58 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

I hope you have a great weekend too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved