MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/26/2011 07:40 AM

Checking in...

wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

I took some notes last night at our bp support group. We had a mixed group of those with and without the illness. Normally we split up but the group was small so we stuck together.

The issue was the phrases, "Are you getting manic?", "did you take your meds?", etc. Every person with a dx in the group stated that they took offense to these questions being posed in this way. One person said they could be having a great day, doing well and then someone says to them, "are you manic?" totally taking them down. I read this in my book "Bipolar Survival Guide" also. They called it "overprotectiveness", being hyper-sensitive to your loved one's moods. I think it's a great idea to be in tune with how they are feeling to hopefull deal with a situation before it gets out of hand.

Our counselor suggested we "check in" with each other periodically during the day. So I will say "do you want to check in?" or he will tell me how he's feeling and say "just checking in". When I suggested this to the group, they all said that kind of language would be appreciated.

I'm only bringing this up because it was an issue at the meeting. I'm not passing judgement on anyone who finds that their way of communicating works for them. What works, works. Don't mess with something that works. Just some info I thought might possibly be helpful for someone.Smile

01/26/2011 08:51 AM
sallyo
sallyoPosts: 3682
Group Leader

Good information to know. I have a tendency to be over-protective, and when it bugs my husband, he tells me to stop hovering.

01/27/2011 09:40 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

My husband has been ok with me asking him if he feels like he's getting manic, but I can definitely see how people could take offense to that especially if they are just feeling good but not manic.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved