MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/16/2011 05:27 AM

Bipolar Disorder and hypothyroidism

wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Does anyone have experience with this? I was reading about bipolar online and ran across this. I also remember hearing about it in our bp support group.

01/16/2011 08:41 AM
WornOut2
WornOut2  

Totally new to me, although I just googled and read an interesting article about it. My husband was on meds for hypoactive thyroid before he lost a lot of weight but supposedly tested normal without meds when he was in the hospital after his OD. I didn't see lab tests, so I don't know for sure. He hasn't taken Synthroid since. I don't know if his levels have been checked recently (or since then, now that I think about it).

He has had a deep depression which has been unresponsive to numerous medication tweaks. Thanks for info which may have given me a clue about a possible solution!

01/16/2011 09:18 AM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Wornout, what was the article? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

01/16/2011 09:22 AM
Imnoangel
Imnoangel  

I googled it, too. Read around a bit. This was new to me. Very, very interesting. I have to wonder if horomones could also have anything to do with it. Just wondering since I have some major horomone issues from time to time. Wink Thanks for bringing this to the table, wife. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has had this issue!

01/16/2011 12:48 PM
WornOut2
WornOut2  

This was actally an article about treating depression without antidepressants and how medicating to increase the activity of the thyroid gland might be beneficial.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/ADwithoutAD.htm

01/16/2011 02:26 PM
lollipop
lollipop  
Group Leader

My husband had his thyroid checked in the beginning. The primary care doc said he didn't think it was his thyroid, then he sent my husband over to have a blood test done to check it,but we never saw the blood test results. We need to get a copy and check it out.

01/16/2011 04:31 PM
wifeonbpexpress
wifeonbpexpress  
VIP Member

Thanks for the article wornout, that was very interesting information. And lolli, I hope you get those test results, it would be good to know that information.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved