MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/19/2012 06:14 PM

Hip labral tear treatment options(page 9)

mehman
mehman  

Thanks to the both of you. Wishing May 2nd would get here and be gone so I can get this over with. Threw my back out yesterday on my good side.. craziness..lol..hope your both doing well. The good part is to be off work for several weeks. So ready for a break from that as long as my surgery goes well.

05/03/2012 07:54 AM
jeffreyawest

Just had my second surgery on my other hip. I had my left hip done in February and it was going well in rehab. As I started doing more weight and more targeted exercises on both the left and right hip the right hip began to deteriorate. In the last 2 weeks it deteriorated much quicker so I had surgery ASAP since I couldn't walk without crutches.

Unfortunately, FAI is usually bilateral and most people have to have both sides done at some point. Only high-level athletes can get away with only one side supposedly.

On my left hip they did the nerve block before surgery and were able to speak to me to confirm it was the right branch of the nerve. On the right side they put me under anesthesia first and didn't get the block right. I woke up in horrible pain and delaudid, demorol, and Fentanyl didn't scratch the surface so they attempted another block with two doses of Versed. They also gave me Percocet and Torodol before going home. None of this knocked me out if that tells you how bad the pain was.

The purpose of sharing this is not to scare anyone. This is major surgery - of course it's going to hurt! However, my strong advice for anyone undergoing this surgery would be to request that the nerve block is done before you are completely under anesthesia so they can be sure it's in the correct place. My left hip was smooth and not very painful because they got the block in the correct place.

Now that both of my hips have been repaired and I can rehab them both, I'll be in great shape. For me, there was no choice - I had to have surgery because I couldn't walk. However, I strongly recommend getting FAI and labral tears fixed sooner rather than later. My experience has been largely positive.

05/03/2012 05:10 PM
kduff73

I pretty much have the same thing as you. So, your recommendation is surgery? This is been a very difficult decision for me, because I consider surgery a last resort. Another issue I have, is I have mild to moderate arthritis in my left hip, so the Dr. tells me I'm not a great candidate for arthroscopy. Do you happen to know, if they ever do fai surgery on both hips at the same time?

A problem I'm having is I'm a Firefighter and I don't have enough sick leave to recover from the surgery. If anyone has any solutions to that problem, I"m all ears. Thanks.

05/03/2012 05:38 PM
billhome
billhomePosts: 32

Did you get to race? My pain has gotten worse and better! LOL I can tell the damage is changing. The pain is less frequent but more in the socket than on the top of the quad lower waist area. I have been training so hard lately I am not surprised. Anyway I am still debating. I am getting fast again and I don't want to stop! Ha!

05/03/2012 05:40 PM
billhome

My last post was for you Jo! I should have added your name first!

05/03/2012 06:08 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

Hi Bill

I did one 5 km (slowly) in March and there hasn't been anything close by that's short enough since. Now I've got a bit of a muscle strain in the other leg, but it shouldn't take too long to settle (I hope). I've run 6 km non-stop, and 10 km @ 4 min. run/1 min. walk. I've ridden 40 km. So my goal is an Olympic distance tri in the summer, and hopefully a sprint distance before then. I was getting worried as I was getting catching in the groin on the operated side, but my PT has my doing psoas stretches and it's much improved, so it's not a re-tear (whew!). How's your pain level with lots of training? I am so slow now, with about 2-1/2 yrs of no racing....yuck! But I don't care that much... speed witll be a bonus, just being out there is such a treat!

Jo

05/03/2012 11:32 PM
jeffreyawest

I didn't really have much of a choice. I had pain for several months leading up to my left hip surgery, but 1.5 weeks before I could literally not flex my hip at all - I could not sit. Same thing for the right hip, one day it just went out. Luckily I have no arthritis in either of my hips. I also live in CA where the state provided short term disability coverage is good.

The other aspect of this for me was low back pain. The day after the left surgery I could already tell a difference in my low back on the left side - it was gone, but I still had pain on the right. Now, day 1 after my right hip surgery I have no low bad pain on the bike for either side. If this remains the case, its indescribable how this will change my life after many years of misdiagnosed "low back pain" which was really coming from my hips!

05/04/2012 09:54 AM
jeffreyawest

Kduff73 - wouldn't this be a workmen's comp situation? If you're a full time firefighter I would expect that you have decent benefits like that. You wouldn't want this to prevent you from being able to perform in your job at a critical time.

05/21/2012 02:18 PM
billhome

Hi Jo! Well I lined up for the Ironman and completed the swim and the bike. My hip was screaming on the bike so my performance was poor. I am calling the doctor today for another appointment to discuss surgery. I really don't want to go through it...but if I don't my racing days are over. Uggg...How are you doing?

05/21/2012 10:54 PM
lacasajo
lacasajo  

Wow, Bill! You attempted an Ironman with your hip?! Which one was that? I still have some stiffness in my hip, but I just did my first sprint distance tri today since way before my surgery! Woohoo! Was way slower than I used to be, but it was just so fun to be out there again! So I am optimistic that I will do a few races this summer, probably nothing more than Olympic distance this year. I pretty much hadn't raced/trained for 2-1/2 years and I'm in my 50's, so it takes a while to come back, and I don't expect I'll ever be up to my previous speed. I'm OK with that though. These hip things just don't heal on their own, so the choice becomes adjust the lifestyle or try the surgery and hope for the best. I certainly wasn't happy just to give up on the lifestyle, so took the risk of the surgery. It's been a long haul, but I'm definitely better than I was. Good luck with your doctor's appt! Let us know how it goes! Jo

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 9 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved