MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/11/2011 02:56 AM

What is out there?

DMary

I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis 2 years ago and have had nothing at all in the way of help from my Dr. Finally 2 weeks ago I got a new doctor and he gave me your site and is starting assesment, but what I would like to know is what has worked for different people, other than pain meds and being kept comfortable.

Thank you

03/11/2011 05:58 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4192
Group Leader

SOme other approaches -

1. physical therapy to strengthen core muscles.

2. learning and using the McKenzie technique and glide to control the stenosis.

3. general stretching.

4. limiting car trips

5. sleeping with a pillow under your knees

6. increasing you cardio at the gym

7. sleeping on a fether pillow

8. sleeping on a firm bed with a thick memory foam topper

9. being more active - do not sit so much

10. ice lower back 15 minutes on and 2 hours off

hope these help some

Raoul

03/14/2011 10:35 PM
DMary

Thank you Raoul, some of those things I have put in play by myself, had my first physio therapy appt today,

and they gave me some other stretching things to try.

What is McKenzies technique? It is something I havent heard of before.

My old Dr. (the quack) told me to use heat on my back, not ice, have you found the ice works well?

I appreciate your help, Ive been struggling alone for 2 years with it and had reached a very frustrated level before my new Dr gave me some support...this group as well.

Mary

03/15/2011 07:17 AM
Raoul
Group Leader

Hi Mary

Yes - ice is very effective. place it on the lumbar area or butt - not down the legs. Do place ben gay on the butt and down the legs all the way. When icing - it is 15 minutes on and then 2 hours off . More is dangerous - frost bite.

You need to establish a good relationship with you family doctor. He / she can also be very helpful with the sciatica. For example - my GP has recently prescribed for me - gabapentin for nerve pain and vicodin for pain. I also use tylenol 3 for pain a lot - he prescribed for it too. He also gave me a prescription for klonopin for anxiety at bedtime. I also use it very sparingly for a muscle relaxer at bed time. Re another online support group I learned that I could cut my dosage from 0.5 mg down to 0.25 mg at bedtime of the klonopin and still get complete help from it for both anxiety and for a muscle relaxer.

The mckenzie technique - i will post further on that a little later today - right now i need to go get an MRI .

raoul

03/17/2011 05:37 PM
Raoul
Group Leader

Mary - I have not forgotten you.

McKenzie stretches

1.((( foreward = for pain on both sides)))

Stand with feet at shoulder width

Place hands on buttocks with fingers facing down

Extend backward with knees straight until increased pressure is felt in low back.

Return to starting point

Repea 20 times

Repeat 3 times

2. (((sidewise- for pain on right side)))

((The purpose is to push from the side that hurts toward the other side.))

(((exact opposite side for pain on left side)))

(((Called a side glide standing)))

Stand up . Place right hand on hip girdle. Place left hand on ribcage.

Push with right hand while resisting with left hand – until a pressure and discomfort is felt.

Return to starting position.

Hold for count of 10. Repeat 5 times.

AND - you can google "McKenzie technique video", and look at the videos on this amazing technique.

Hugs, Raoul

06/16/2011 07:33 AM
diverdown19

Hey, sorry to hear about the support. It took years for me to find the right Dr. I kept going to Orthos and they are def not the right drs. Finially I found the Spine institute at UAMS. For the last 2 years we have managed this with pain meds, lots of meds. Now I guess I've ruptured something or more narrowing so it's looking alot like surgery. I wondered if maybe you have looked into surgery or if you have any info on success rates?

06/16/2011 07:44 PM
Raoul
Group Leader

I have heard of too many surgeries that went bad and required additional surgery. The surgeries finally did correct the mechanical problem, but left so much scar tissue that the person was finally in more pain than when they started with the surgery.

If the surgery is an absolute must do - then fine, but if it can be not done and you would still be able to manage - then I personally do not recommend the surgery.

06/20/2011 09:57 AM
thematrix777
thematrix777Posts: 297

Here is a site that has the most information on spinal stenosis. This link will take you to surgery and spinal stenosis. http://www.spinalstenosis.org/surgical.php

The various doctors I have spoken to and interviewed recommend against it except as a last resort. Especially in case of possible paralysis if the nerve impingement is too bad.

Trudy

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved