MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/15/2009 12:25 PM

Hello....im a newbie.

haydenismylife

Hello my name is Jennifer, I live in central Florida and have 3 kids. My oldest son Kyle was dx with sever adhd, Bi-polar (by one dr) and "mood disorder" by the other. One Dr also Dx him with oppositional defiant disorder and one dx him mild retardation disorder and reactive speech disorder. he is on risperdone 2 times a day, concerta 1 time a day and ritalin 1 time a day. We have an appointment with ss on 7/27. I have got all his records from past therapist and he sees 3 therapist a month now and all 3 are going to right letters and provide records if need be is there anything else I should get? How hard will it be to get approved seeing as I have records from 4 different doctors dating back 2 years ago? with him still seeing drs monthly will they require him to go thru another mental evaluation? also he has done well in school when it comes to work but his conduct has always been very poor will the good school work be an issue? there is documentation of bad conduct should I take that? I just need all the help I can get. My son has lost his insurance so I have been trying to get him more and have been paying out of pocket for alot of things so we defeintly need help.

07/15/2009 01:13 PM
angel2008
angel2008Posts: 110

Sounds like you have your hands full. But you have found a great place to share. I haven't been a member long but these people are great and so very caring. And with what we all are going through in this world we need all the friends we can get. May God look after you and your family and that you get the needed help you are looking for. Just be sure to take care of your self and take a break if you can find some one to watch the boys for you. I know I have been in the same place with my son when he was little. He had ADHD or at least that is what they said. He had problems in school(he Quite)always in trouble it was a nightmare. Not as bad know. He now has a problem keeping a job.and he get's bored to easy. I never would put him on drugs. My friend did her son and it seam to get worse. Any way just never give up and keep pushing to get disability or something for them.What have you tried to get?

07/15/2009 04:28 PM
haydenismylife

well I tried for medicaid and we did not qualify for that because my husband makes to much so I tried Florida kidcare but it will take atleast 30 days to hear anything from them so im checking around for other options.

Post edited by: haydenismylife, at: 07/15/2009 04:28 PM

07/15/2009 05:00 PM
suni19

Welcome to the board!

I'm pretty new here myself. I would recommend that you call or visit your local social security office.

Explain your situation and see what you'd need to do to apply for your son.

Hugs,

Tammy

07/16/2009 08:08 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

First of all, welcome to the group! This group is a good place to get some valuable information, to share what you're going through, or even vent a little if you need. We're all here for each other.

Okay, now, are you applying for SSI or SSD? This will make a difference on how we help you with what you're gonna need.

07/16/2009 04:22 PM
haydenismylife

to be honest I have no idea. I just know the main reason im doing it is for the medicaid if that helps. he will be seeing drs thru out the rest of his childhood and I want to make sure he is able to get all the help he can get. what is the difference of the 2?

07/17/2009 08:17 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

He may qualify for both. I would suggest making an appt. with your local Social Security Administration and have them help you get the process started. They can help figure out what you should apply for.

I have a friend who is totally disabled. She had a brain tumor back when we were in high school (keep in mind she's like 45'ish), then she ended up having a stroke. Anyway, her parents didn't know to apply for anything. So, she just a couple of years ago went through the process, which should have been done YEARS ago. It was really, really, hard on her. --- I realize that he has a total different diagnosis, but still.... I'm glad you're doing this now for him. Smile

07/17/2009 08:45 AM
haydenismylife

we have an appointment on 7/27, im hoping everything goes smooth but im preparing myself for a long hard fight. Is there one that is easier to get approved then another or are they both the same in that aspect?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved