MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/30/2012 02:24 AM

SSDI and SSI Back Pay Time Frame

TheQuietOne
TheQuietOne  

Hello all!

I have a question for those of you who have been approved.

I was approved for SSDI and also filed for Supplemental as a precaution incase of a denial. I was not told until the 2nd week in April that I was approved on March 9t. It was actually an accident when I was notified because I called the claims examiner to ask him a question. Before he answered he said.. well your case was approved, both of them, for the diagnoses date you listed of July 2010, they should have notified you..! Pleae call your local office and find out what is going on. I was shocked!! I honestly thought I would be denied to some degree.

I spoke with the SSI case manager and he told me I would have SSDI monthly benefits and a back pay amount for the supplemental from the time applied to current and that disability would most likely pay me from the date I was diagnosed to current.. cept they take out the first 5 months and subtract the months that ssi would pay since I applied for both.. ok great good and fine! So he told me I should expect some notices in the mail and that I should get the SSI payment in a couple weeks. So I got my notices in the mail, the first that I was actually approved and for how much and the 2nd of when it would start. The 3rd was SSI notifiying me of approval and how much they would be paying for back pay and the 4th was from Social Security Disability notifying me of the months they would pay me and that they need to configure the amount because of also getting a payment from supplemental... again good and fine and great... I have left 2 messages for each case manager and nobody had returned my call. I did receive my first SSDI benefit montly payment on May 3rd ( for April ) and thinking I will get the next this weekend...

Does anyone know a rough estimate of when I would be seeing any of this back pay. I am in AZ.

I do not mean to sound greedy and I am VERY VERY happy to have been approved but I can not tell you how many times any customer service cases of mine fall through the cracks... something that should take 2 months takes 6! I am also worried they sent a check and I just did not get it.

Any help would be much appreciated. I do not know if I should file a complaint or send a certified letter...

05/30/2012 08:27 AM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 2892
Group Leader

I got mine about 6-8 weeks(roughly) after getting my award letter. You do know taking the SSI back pay that it will be deducted from your SSDI back pay? Also several people on here have stated in the past that taking the SSI portion slowed getting their SSDI back pay. I waived my SSI and just took SSDI, my local SS office told me that waiving the SSI would speed up the SSDI back pay. The only reason I would see in taking the SSI portion is if your SSDI benefit amount is lower than the maximum SSI monthly benefit amount,then you would want to take both to bring your combined monthly benefit amount to the max SSI amount that I believe now is roughly 700 a month..Make sense?

05/30/2012 05:16 PM
TheQuietOne
TheQuietOne  

Thank you! Yes I was aware they do the deduction of the first 5 months and the months you were in application for suppelemental but I just figured it was 2 seperate cases and had no clue I could wave it. I am going to call them yet again tomorrow. I guess I was just under the impression I would at least get the supplemental back pay in the meantime. While I was waiting. I mean goodness how hard is it to subject one number from the other LOL. Either way it could always be worse! Thank you again!

05/31/2012 10:42 AM
scooby64
scooby64  
I'm an Advocate

After having dealt with both Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Insurance (they are both administered, as you know, by Social Security), my advice is to go down in person and sit down with their representative, ask them for written records of your particulars.

Once you get your award, you will have a "lump sum" benefit (and ask them about that), dating back to the date of your application up to the time the decision in your case was arrived at by them.

Once you get your monies straightened out, have them direct deposited into either a bank you use or have them direct deposit them into what is called Direct Express.

I found it amusing that Patty Duke is the star of the movie they play down at the local office (big-screen TV).

And - after more than ten visits to the Social Security office to get money I was entitled to (I used to be a contractor and paid into the system), the clincher line of the Patty Duke movie (With Mr. Zulu of Star Trek fame):

NOW, WASN'T THAT SO E-A-S-Y ??

06/19/2012 07:09 PM
TheQuietOne
TheQuietOne  

I agree. It is unreal how they just ignore you. I sent a priority letter and it probable is just sitting on some backed up office workers desk. I am going to go next week with a friend of mine. I know they are just going to give me the run around and tell me that it takes time since I filed for both. I have my monthly SSDI payments already they started May 3rd, just not back pay for either case. I was approved March 9.. July will be 4 months.. unsure of the turn around for this type of thing. I am notorious as I said for getting lost in the system.

06/19/2012 07:39 PM
xceldanes

It took 4 months for my husbands backpay check and he didnt apply for SSI at all they said they still had to check.Oct Judge awarded him Jan he got his first check but Feb on backpay check it was few years ago but I remember months because took 3 years to get.He was on lifesupport when letters came.

Post edited by: xceldanes, at: 06/19/2012 07:40 PM

06/20/2012 06:54 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

"lifesupport when letters came"

Incredible!

06/20/2012 09:12 AM
xceldanes

Yep from Oct to Dec he was on life support I was furious.He ended up in hospital 4 monhs once off vent we were finally moved from ICU to a ROOM for another 4 weeks.He got out hosp late Jan and Feb his backpay came he was still so sick he really didnt care at that point.

06/20/2012 01:48 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

Wow xceldanes, so sorry you had to go thru this. How is he now?

06/25/2012 09:39 AM
xceldanes

I keep missing post on here

Hes on Oxygen all the time now and so much morphine he cant do anything he has some days better then others but hes alive its hard hed worked his entire life and now frustrated on fixed income and cant help do things he used to

They sent 2 year reviews and we filled out and his Dr did I got another saying he wouldnt have to do anymore reviews with what he has itss forever and only will get worse

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved