MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/30/2012 08:40 AM

medicare cost with medication

aprilaidan

If approved for ssid -how much is it per month for medicare with medication?

I know they have a few different ones out -but which one had the most?

04/30/2012 12:30 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Depends on what programe you choose. Mine is stright out 90.00 each month and coverage really depends if you have a nice supplement cover which i do so I cant answet that. Have you been approved yet ? When is or was your hearing date ?

04/30/2012 01:00 PM
aprilaidan

I have not been approved yet. My hearing date is this Thursday!!! I live in California and would need the drug plan.

04/30/2012 04:40 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Im not sure states matter much when it comes to medicare a lot of doctors are not taking it now because the president cut the pay to doctors so much they couldnt afford to see the patients.

04/30/2012 05:15 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

You should contact your local SSA. They can give you that information. I say this because it can vary on income, location, and type of plan. Check out this website for further information: http://www.medicare.gov/cost/

Here's what that site shows: And, when you're on that site, and you click Part D plan- you will be asked to provide your zip and it will then walk you thru the options.

Medicare Monthly Premiums:

Type of Monthly Premium Amount of Monthly Premium

Part A monthly premium- (for people who pay a premium) $451

Part A Late Enrollment Penalty- +10%

Part B monthly premium- $99.90 Higher-income consumers may pay more.

Part B Late Enrollment Penalty- +10% for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but didn't sign up for it

Part C monthly premium- Varies by plan

Part D monthly premium- Varies by plan and Higher-income consumers may pay more

Part D Late Enrollment Penalty- Depends on how long you went without creditable prescription drug coverage

04/30/2012 07:33 PM
aprilaidan

Does my husband income depend on how much I would have to pay?

Who pays a premium price? $451

My husband pays $400 per month for my insurance.

Thanks for the info -confusing!

05/02/2012 08:02 AM
aprilaidan

Thanks for the info. That would save us a few hundred dollars per month.

05/02/2012 08:35 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

I don't think medicare has a co-pay. You have a meet a deductible each year. It varies from year to year. The Medicare Part B deductible for 2009 was $135.00 for example. In 2011, my medicare deductible was $162.00. This year (2012), it is $140. I just logged into my medicare account to verify this. The 80/20 is called co-insurance, not a copay. Medicare pays 80% and you are responsible for the other 20%. Some people purchase a medicap policy to help fill in this gap. myersd63 is correct in that if you don't sign up for medicare when you 1st become eligible, there is a 10% penalty each year for delayed enrollment unless you have other medical insurance.

When my employment ceased, I had the option of continuing my medical thru Cobra for for 18 months but @ a $700 per month premium. I had to drop it because I just could not afford it. Also, the 80/20 medicare for mental health will not become effective until 2014. Currently, it is only 60/40.

Here is another link from the medicare.gov website that you may want to take a look at.

https://questions.medicare.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/16/~/ can-i-delay-medicare-part-b-enrollment-without-paying- higher-premiums%3F

Click on more underneath Can I delay Medicare Part B enrollment without paying higher premiums?

Post edited by: LostInCyberspace12, at: 05/02/2012 08:36 AM

05/02/2012 08:58 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

Traditional medicare comes barebones. (no coverage for Rx drugs).

I purchased a medicare part D plan.

The more you are willing or able to pay for the premium, the better the coverage you will get for the part D plan.

Some people opt. for the Medicare Part C (advantage) plans which often come with Rx drug coverage but all these plans have their pros and cons too.

I also had the option of retiree medical thru my former employer. It would have been a second payer after medicare and did have Rx drug coverage attached. The reason I opted out was again because of the astronomical premiums. ($450 / month...ouch!)

I opted for a cheap Medicare Part D plan. As long as I can keep all my drugs generic, it works out pretty well for me.

05/02/2012 09:40 AM
aprilaidan

Thanks for the great info. What do you pay per month on your plan?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved