MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 03:43 AM

How Do You Live After Being Disabled?

6katmom
6katmom  

May 22nd is just around the corner. I am so nervous and ready for it to be over all at the same time.

In a few days I will be turning 48; not old just older.

I would like to hear from people about how they live after being disabled.

I am asking for advice, for anything you feel worthy to share.

I have lost my career which was a huge part of my life. I don't want to give up and be a victim, feel sorry for myself; that won't help anything.

How do you find the "new" you and live a happy life?

Maybe there are others that are feeling this same way. I need help and maybe you do too.

Thank you for all that read and add comments. Let's help each other.

04/26/2012 05:14 AM
mem8172

48 that's young to me I will be 57 this sat. I was lucky to work 30 years at my last job before I went on ssdi. I keep a active life style just because you are disabled you just don't sit there and wither and die. You have to keep active the best way you can,at your age you are still young. I do not feel sorry for my self , I deal with my disability . The problem is that some people who are disabled think life will end as they know it. Well it won't life goes on. Enjoy life to the best of your ability and live each day like its your last day.

04/27/2012 10:54 PM
Heartburn
Heartburn  

I would agree with Pinto74. I would also add to get involved with any grandkids you have or family. If you can write think about writing a book or maybe set up a blog. Those are some ideas that I would give you. Find something you like and can handle with your disabilities.

04/27/2012 11:24 PM
mem8172

Hey I'm 57 and I ave perphiral artery disease and I exercise 3 days a week I'm in better shape now than when I retired worked 30 years at a warehouse doing manual laor. I was paid quite wll when I retired better than my ssdi witch is above the average ssdi monthly check .

04/29/2012 04:13 PM
SSLMD

Consider volunteer work. There is a great need, and places that use volunteers can often work around the irregular schedule imposed by the disability.

04/30/2012 05:38 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

Like Pinto74, I was a blue collar worker and worked in a warehouse operating production machinery, driving forklift trucks, and an odd variety of other jobs. I worked there for over 2 decades until I became too sick to work anymore due to my deteriorating mental health condition. I am on disability income. It isn't nearly as much as I was making when I was working but I manage to survive by cutting corners and pinching pennies wherever and whenever I can.

My panic does limit my daily activity but I have never developed agoraphobia thank god.

I am still trying to work on improving my health and get off or at least reduce the psychotropic drugs I am taking due to bothersome side effects which I hate.

I do things like meditate, yoga, light aerobic exercise 4-5 days per week unless I feel really bad on a particular day. I don't think I could even do volunteer work right now due to my panic. I felt defeated and humiliated too when I lost my job. I have not worked in over 3 years now and probably will not be going back at my age and history of mental health problems. So, don't feel bad 6katmom. I lost my career too and it hurt for a very long time afterwards but life still has to go on and we do the best that we can.

04/30/2012 08:27 AM
mem1318

Hello, Life goes on. It will only be what you make it. Don't give in. I've said this before and cause a little problem, BUT I will say it again. You have to take control, don't let stuff take control of you. Guess you say easier said then done. NOT TRUE. You fight against the disability. There may be thing you can not do anymore, but there is something out there that you can replace stuff with. Don't give in and please don't give up. When you give up you let yourself down. No way do you want to do that. If it is nothing but pampering yourself. I truly understand that finance will be different, but you can solve that too, by priority things. It can be done. Blessing RW

04/30/2012 09:39 AM
mem8172

Very well said Realityworld you and you alone are in charge of your life. If you want to just sit there and play the pittey game that's up to you. If you just want people to feel sorry for you they won't, they have there own lives to look after. I have seen people in wheel chairs with no legs exersising there upper body. And no one help them because they want to do it on there own. I do not feel sorry for anyone with a disability because there is always something that they can do to be a productive member of society. Having a disability is like loosing one of you're sences but your other senses make up for the one you lost. Like being blind you can't see so your hearing and smell and touch pick up the slack.

04/30/2012 03:31 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

@ Pinto, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

04/30/2012 04:27 PM
mem8172

My fiancé co workers husband just od on heroin he was in his 30's left 2 kids ages 3 and 1 so heroin is still #1 killer

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved