MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/31/2012 06:42 AM

Gaf score and how its decided.

wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

This should give all of you that are fileing an mental health claime an idea of how your Gaf score is computed. Elvis if you or fibro dont mind to sticky this it would help us from not having to keep reposting it.

Gaf Score (Global Assessment of Functioning)

A Gaf Score or Global Assessment of Functioning is utilized by a clinician to guage an individual's overall level of functioning and his/her ability to carry out activities of daily living. This information is useful in planning treatment, measuring its impact, and predicting outcome.

The Global Assessment of Functioning Scale is a 100-point scale that measures a patient's overall level of psychological, social, and occupational functioning on a hypothetical continuum.

The GAF Report decision tree is designed to guide clinicians through a methodical and comprehensive consideration of all aspects of a patients symptoms and functioning to determine a patients GAF rating in less than 3 minutes.

|

91 Superior functioning in a wide range of activities, life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many positive qualities. No symptoms.

|

|

81 Absent or minimal symptoms (e.g., mild anxiety before an exam), good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns (e.g., an occasional argument with family members).

|

|

71 If symptoms are present, they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stressors (e.g., difficulty concentrating after family argument); no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., temporarily falling behind in schoolwork).

|

|

61 Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

|

|

51 Moderate symptoms (e.g., flat affect and circumstantial speech, occasional panic attacks) OR moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., few friends, conflicts with peers or co-workers).

|

|

41 Serious symptoms (e.g., suicidal ideation, severe obsessional rituals, frequent shoplifting) OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., no friends, unable to keep a job).

|

|

|

31 Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g., speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g., depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work; child frequently beats up younger children, is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

|

|

21 Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment, in communication or judgment (e.g., sometimes incoherent, acts grossly inappropriately, suicidal preoccupation) OR inability to function in almost all areas (e.g., stays in bed all day, no job, home, or friends)

|

|

11 Some danger of hurting self or others (e.g., suicide attempts without clear expectation of death; frequently violent; manic excitement) OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene (e.g., smears feces) OR gross impairment in communication (e.g., largely incoherent or mute).

|

1 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others (e.g., recurrent violence) OR persistent inability to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.

0 Inadequate information.

03/31/2012 11:35 AM
jayjay41
jayjay41Posts: 457

This scoring confuses me. I went for my mental health exam and had no problems counting backward from 100 by 7's, remembering the presidents...etc...but yet, I have so many of the things listed in all of the scores?? How do they determine whats an appropriate score when I can have certain things in each category?

03/31/2012 12:06 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Jay I have to assume they do an assement and compare notes vers scores and do an average. I can only guess !! I didnt do a mental claime but my gaf score was at 60 with bipolar affect disorder with severe depression with psychotic behaviour. Im not sure how they came up with the pschotic thing cause I have showen very little violance over the years except for a few incidents at work. these are the list of meds they have me on for this problem. The mental doc I was sent to for ssdi had me down as gaf score of 50 and the one before that one had me down at 25 so I am not real sure how they come up with these scores. Here are the meds. If your on these meds with the right doc and the doc scores you below a 50 I would assume you would be approved at some point.

Perphenazine 8 mgs daily

Xanax 4 mg's daily

Wellbutrrin xr 150 mgs

Depakote 1,000 mgs a day

Keep in mind those doc's dont much care if you get approved or not they are being paid by social security. My doc had in his report I counted backwards and knew my presidents as well and he dIdnt even ask me to do this. He also had my eye color as blue and I have dark green to hazel eyes. We noted I was dressed well and looked exhausted. He was right about that I didnt sleep for days before hand. Just make sure your mental health doc of your own documents everything and be down right honest with them. Im pretty sure with what I have learned in the last few years that I could have gone off on mental years ago without any problem if I had just didnt want to give up my rights as a legal gun owner. yes once you go mental you can no longer own firarms !! For those who dont know this and its not a good trade off for such a small check. With what you have gone thru Im wondering why you have not been dx'ed with ptsd also. Have you talked with your doc about this ?

03/31/2012 08:32 PM
Heartburn
Heartburn  

Thank you for this information. I learned a lot here and what my score is all about.

04/01/2012 04:14 AM
jayjay41

I have been diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety, depression, cancer (remission)....I take Cymbalta 90 mgs, xanxax 2 mgs, and ambien nightly for sleep. I have been through alot in 41 years and I think it is all catching up to me now.

04/01/2012 05:16 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Jay are you vistiing a psycharitist ??? Key to winning on a mental health claime. On my letter from the judge his exact words are the comments sent in was totally disregarded from the arne which is pretty much a pa in the mental health world. I was going to a mental health clinic and never once seen there doctors it was always therapist and arne's they are not doctors according to the social security system.

I have to ask when going thru cancer treatments almost everyone I have meet has some form of symptoms from the chemo and radiation such as neuropathy and other things. It can cause spinal issues and low immune problems as well these kinda things need to be noted on your claime. Also visit an opthomologist as well im sure your vision was affected..

Post edited by: wolfmanpark, at: 04/01/2012 05:19 AM

04/01/2012 06:34 AM
jayjay41

So weird that you mentioned the vision issue..My last eye exam (last summer) I needed tri-focals. I am only 41. My vision has never been the best but there has been a major change since the cancer.

I have seen numerous psychologists..even been hypnotized. My issue is that I stop seeing them because I get scared getting into my "issues". I end up telling them that I am doing GREAT and no longer need counseling. I did mention this during my psych exam though.

I guess I will have to wait for a letter from SSD to find out if I qualify for disability. Hopefully, now that the psych exam is done, it wont be too much longer.

04/01/2012 08:14 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

After they send you to there doctors you will hear something in about one month in case you have not been told this yet. I think you could have a good case if you had filed while you had the cancer instead of working on a physical claime. With being in remission that now cant be used at all except for the side effects of the treatments. As Im sure you had had many. some that will last forever and some that will come later on.

04/01/2012 08:24 AM
jayjay41

I hadn't been told that it would take about a month to hear something,so thank you for letting me know. I didn't file during my cancer because I never considered it...now, here I am, totally knocked on my ass, Dealing with emotional issues! Go figure!

04/01/2012 09:00 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

I understand Jay I fought the facts about getting out for a while cause I just could not give up. I took a year sitting around here thinking about fileing and then I didnt file the correct stuff and ways of doing it. I wish you had come to this group before you filed your first claime so that we could have helped you gather a better claime. After I filed my claime I tried to go back to work a few times hoping I could make it but lasted about a week. So i figured I would just stop the bs and finish the claime. This costed me a great deal of grief cause I lost my initial claime for working and consideration levels both. I just could not stop tring to go back. Welcome to mdjunction and I hope that we all can help guied you thru the rest of the process.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved