MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/25/2012 08:53 AM

Five month waiting period for SS

mgej69

Hi, my name is Mike, I'm 58 yrs old and wish to thank you for having a group like this to help each other. My situation is in September 2011 I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer and have been told by my oncologist that I have a one in five chance of living for five years. He also said 2 years was generally the average amount of time and said the statistics showed a 12% chance of surviving for 2 years. I have had to keep working through my chemo & lung radiation treatments which ended January 2012 and just recently completed cranial radiation. So thats a brief history of my illness. My question is has anyone found a waiver or a loophole for the five month waiting period. I spoke with Social Security people and they told me that I qualify for the benefits and that I qualify for the "compassionate allowance" which would have my application researched and approved within thirty days because of my terminal illness. She said the five month period is a real problem for people , espescially terminally ill and our congressman should hear about it. I can't afford to quit my job, I have all the usual bills like everyone else, mortgage, insurance, utilities , etc., and I also need my health insurance from work. I am wondering if anyone has ever found a feasible way of getting through this sh*#*y rule of five months with their heads above water. Thank you for any assistance. Mike

03/25/2012 09:37 AM
jayjay41
jayjay41Posts: 457

Wow, this post makes me cry. I cannot believe that you have a 5 month waiting period when your situation deserves an immediate response! So many changes need to be made in our system.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004, it is still in remission but I do live daily with the fear of reoccurence.

I will pray that you find the loophole you are looking for and please, do not give up hope...I am sure there has to be something that can be done in your case.

God Bless

03/25/2012 10:09 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Im not sure there is a way around the waiting period I have not seen anyone do it. Sorry to hear of your cancer I just had a very close friend that died from it this morning so this touches home. He fought a short battle of just one year and it took him out fast in the last 10 days. I hope that you do much better then he did. Goodness I hate the word cancer !! You my friend have my utmost blessing and prayers.

03/28/2012 07:02 PM
shaz66
shaz66  

I would check with some Social Security Attorneys in your area, I have heard of getting it sooner.

03/31/2012 09:47 PM
sweetdog1

God Bless You. I will pray for you. No I don't know much about the system but I do wish GOD intervenes and brings you a blessings...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved