MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/23/2012 04:29 PM

Marriage on SSD

redlocks
redlocks  

I am looking for advice on marriage. I am on disability and my boyfriend is recently retired. Could we get married without it hurting my disability benefits and what happens to his, if anything.. to his income?

03/23/2012 05:48 PM
mem1318

Hello and welcome. I'm not sure on how this works. But I have heard of folks not getting married due to losing their income. So really talk with SSD and find out. Wishing you the best.

03/23/2012 08:31 PM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 3050
Group Leader

If you're on SSI yes his income could effect your SSI. Many disabled people are forced to live together instead of marriage to avoid losing benefits and medical. If you're on SSDI his income won't effect it.

03/23/2012 08:55 PM
redlocks
redlocks  

Thankyou, I am confused on what the difference is between SSI and SSDI can you advice.?

03/23/2012 09:05 PM
Artiste
Artiste  

SSDI or RSDI are entitlement programs... That means you pay into them while you work then if you become disabled they pay you an amount based on your earnings. SSI is a welfare like program, you don't have to pay into it, but you must be below income and property limits. Sometimes you can be receiving both if your RSDI claim is below the SSI limits.

03/24/2012 09:50 AM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 3050
Group Leader

SSI is disability you get if you didn't work or didn't work long enough to get enough credits for SSDI. SSI Supplemental Security Income is basically a type of welfare that is why if you or your spouse make over a certain amount they can take all or part of your benefits away. I would strongly suggest you find out what type you're on before you do anything,because if the person you're planning on marring can't provide medical coverage for you and if their income isn't enough to support two people, you may want to think about that.My mother lost all of her SSI and Medicaid when my dad became disabled and started receiving SSDI.That put them in a real tight spot until my mom turned 62 and could draw off of him. I know of several people who were forced to divorce and just 'live together' in order to keep benefits.Are you on Medicaid or Medicare? Check out this site for an idea of what you can make and still get some of your benefits...http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/ 10095.html#a0=3

03/26/2012 01:02 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

What elvis said.

03/26/2012 07:20 PM
mem1318

Ditto

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved