MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/20/2012 05:04 PM

ssdi project

wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Ok against my humble advice I have a friend gonna file for ssdi with spinal and hip issues and he decided not to use a lawyer. he wants me to help handle this with him. I am totally lost cause I had a lawyer do all this myself. I need pointers from those that have done this on there own and won. Should he be taking mri reports into the initial fileing ? Neurologist reports ? Meds ? A list of side effects ? I am not that privay to the entire medical listings that he might have yet untill tomorrow when he wants to go and file. So I am kinda lost for words as what to do like I said I didnt have to do all this !! What should be taken in to file the claime ? Fast advice would be helpfull cause tomorrow morning I will already be there. He has said that he has tried cortisone injections and pt and meds and nothing works. Thats about all I know.

Will the social security office help with all this paper work ? Will they want to do it all at once time ? Should he have an entire lsit of his doctors and address on hand ? At the first meeting ?

03/20/2012 05:27 PM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 3050
Group Leader

I had 2 mri's and several xrays both proving my hip and back problems ,not to mention the tons of medical records for my other conditions and got denied first time..Hired an attorney from there, figured I'd need an attorney if they're going to deny me with the solid proof I had.

03/20/2012 05:42 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

I know Elvis I was in the same boat. I had all the documentation and got denied. Guess he wants me to go alone for moral support lmao I dont know. I suggested a laweyr right from the get go. Gonna be interesting to say the least. I dont have all the details I am just asking what would one take with them to file. I would think everything they have documented and list of meds and list of doctors they will need to contact. Funny how much you forget when your done with this process.

03/21/2012 05:30 AM
ERVARGASNY

I would personaly advise him to get a lawyer, there are court date someone needs to show up to etc, there is also lawyer language used when facing a judge etc, chances are he will be denied first time if you go in blind and dont know what your doing, sometimes being cheap isnt worth the starvation you can go through waitng 2 years after your first denial to get approved, so 3 years total with no money isnt Funny.

Hire a Lawyer, be in top of him, make sure he files all and i mean all your medical claims, also keep in contact with your SS Case worker, call up find out who has your case and be polite and ask them if there is any documentation they need or are waiting on, if He/She replies yes, dont wait for your lawyer, get the paper work she needs from your doctor and mail it Fedex or USPS OR UPS next day or 2 day if you have to, i did exact same thing im telling you because my lawyer was slacking and not giving in all documentations or letters Requested by doctors , so u went and got them myself from My Doctors and that helped my case alot, Remember the longer your case takes the more money he gets so if your denied first time on his watch, he knows there is a bigger payday ahead, So that is why i took control of my case, kept in contact with SS Case worker gave Her everything she asked for in a prompt Manner, i believe this helped out my case Tremendously, Do yourslef a favor and get your friend a Lawyer, the case can get Technical, Argumentive and Complicated are you guys prepared for that? If not Get a Lawyer prefferbaly a local one, Good Luck.

03/21/2012 07:00 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

ERV Im not ready for it at all. Thats why I told him to get a lawyer. I think he just wants me to help with fileing and if he gets turned down he will then get a lawyer. He knows damn well that I used a lawyer. As soon as his paper work comes in like it did for me a pound at a time I will ask questions on here and how to word some of this stuff. I believe we are gonna do a claime online in the afetrnoon and let the paper work begine.

03/21/2012 05:49 PM
mem1318

Most atty want do anything on the initial filing. They do look for a certain type of language in our files. Although I hired my atty from day one but I had to get thing rolling myself. I also had plenty of medical records but I guess it was not up to SSDI standers. It is possible that his medical records are worded right to get approved on the first round, it has happen. I think the trick is when the same question is asked in a different way. So watch that,tell him to try to answer question in a full sentence. He does not want to say to much but enough to get the point across. I can not stress enough on making sure those reworded question need to be watch closely and answer the same way. Yes submit all records, may be in his favor. Even an RFC if he has one.

03/21/2012 06:29 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

I hear you reality I know all to damn well how these folks ask questions that we think dont mean anything that was my biggest problem on my claime I didnt give them much to go on I was way to vague and gave little info. I will ask a ton of questions on here what others think as well. His dx are two herniated disc and bone spurring in the hips and also bipolar effective disorder with pschotic behavioure. he also has spondylosis in the spine not sure what that is but will learn much more about it. I gonna follw this entire process thru and see how much of a difference I can make by my own personal mistakes.

03/28/2012 08:23 PM
shaz66
shaz66  

I agree, most attorneys want you to file the first time on your own, if you are denied then they will take your case. There is a huge backlog so the sooner you start, the sooner you will finish the process. It took me Two years

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved