MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2009 10:59 AM

Mental Health

bronx

I have applied for SSI and have been turned down twice. I have a lawyer now and I'm just beginning the process. I have several issues and I need help with them. My first questions is..One of my doctors have stated that I need an operation to correct some herniated disc. In my past physical therapy sessions patients have shown very little improvement. Have any of you had this surgery and what is your success rate?

Second: Last month I started a mental health therapy.

I've had two evaluations. They find that I am just depress..I feel like I am loosing my mind. I have an appointment schedule for next week to see a mental health doctor. I know I'm going to get medication for my depression. Is anyone taking medication for this and how effective is it?

Thanks,

Bronx

Post edited by: bronx, at: 01/14/2009 11:06

01/14/2009 11:01 AM
bronx

If anyone can suggest anything I'm all for it.

01/14/2009 11:02 AM
bronx

help

01/14/2009 11:10 AM
homesickgranny
homesickgranny  

As for back surgery, I haven.t had it ( I was just recently diagnosed with DDD and also have herniated disc) Like you I have brooched the questions of surgery and have not found to many that this has helped.. I am now to the point that if Dr. does suggest me to have it, I will not... As for PT, I do exercises recommended by him as I cannot afford to go to Real Pt... I have no job, no insurance and have been denied SSD all the way to Judge.. Having surgery is a personal choice and it is always good to be informed as to the goods and bads of it...

Depression...I have at various times been put on meds for what is called"Situational Depression" This happens to me when things just get to overwhelming. I was last on Symbyax..Was very good for me, no side effects, just relaxed and focused

01/14/2009 11:12 AM
bronx

Thank you for your input.

01/14/2009 11:40 AM
homesickgranny
homesickgranny  

I will try to be here at least once everyday as my pc runs through my phoneline so time is limited during day hours.. I f you have more questions feel free to post and I will try to help if I can, I don't know where all the others are but I am sure they will be along soon Gentle hugs to you

01/14/2009 11:44 AM
bronx

I appreciate the fact that you are here. Thanks.

01/15/2009 05:59 AM
mamanordy

Welcome to the forum, Bronx. I have tons of back issues too, and I have never had any surgeries for them. I have researched it a lot and talked to a lot of drs I know on a personal basis, and they have adviced me against it.

I have to rely on medications, PT, and prayer, Wink

07/11/2009 01:35 PM
angel2008
angel2008Posts: 110

Did you get your SSI?

07/17/2009 04:18 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Bronx, have you looked into the new disc decompression instead of surgery? It has high ratings. I had surgery on neck for DDD and they say I am ready for another one. No way. Although it worked it was the most horrid thing I had ever gone thru. I'll wait as long as possible.

As for antidepressants, it is very common for chronic pain people to suffer depression and alot of us, if not most use some type of antideppressant. I fought them for years but use Zoloft now and it helps a great deal.

Good luck with SSD/SSI.

Hugs

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved