MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/22/2011 01:11 PM

SSDI Interview: Over Phone or In-Person Better??

MysticLyme
MysticLyme  

My SSDI app was submitted online a couple days ago with the help of a Voc Rehab advocate. Yesterday I got a call from Social Security office saying I need to schedule my interview. (I never expected to hear from them this soon - I thought it'd take a few weeks before scheduling interview).

I need to decide ASAP (TODAY - have to return their call) whether to do it over the phone or in-person. My advocate will go with me if in-person.

Do you think it is better to do the interview in-person at the Social Security office OR over the phone???

My Lyme brain fog makes phone calls extremely challenging...for some reason it helps a little to have visual clues and the person right in front of me. So my initial thought was that I should have it on person.

But then I worry what if its in person they think what so many healthy people think when they look at a Lyme-infected person "But she looks good"

But if over the phone what if I screw up so badly because of poor concentration, etc???

Ugh!!!!! I need help making this decision. Blink

Any suggestions / tips for first SSDI interview are much appreciated!!!

Thank you!

- MysticLyme

09/22/2011 04:48 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

I didn't have one of these. But, I would think it would be better to have it in-person. That way, they can 'see you' and how you handle situations.

09/22/2011 06:29 PM
steveswife

In person, IMHO. I had mine done over the phone, and I felt like a complete idiot trying to make that woman understand what I go through on a daily basis. I was denied after that interview. (Reconsideration level) I didn't have a choice in the matter, though.

Now, once I got to the hearing level, it was apparent in my judges decision letter that my testimony is what made him decide in my favor. Even my attorney commented on what he had said in that letter....apparently I made an impact. (My husband thinks I must have reminded him of a grand daughter or something lol)

I can say it was easier to tell if he fully understood what I was feeling. If he looked confused after an answer, I was able to automatically elaborate a little more. He could also see the turmoil on my face, as well.

And BTW....I look perfectly and completely healthy. I was even sporting a six month pregnant belly. Most people are amazed that I have anything wrong with me at all.

09/23/2011 11:14 PM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I totally agree about better in person. Let your advocate know about this. My therapist won't see me over the phone, she said she needs to see me in person. They need to see your body language and well for a lot of people brain fog is much more obvious when they can see the confusion on your face. Many of us are expressive when we are suffering and it can be read by looking at us physically.

Actually they say that most of communication is not what people hear. I forget the breakdown now.

09/24/2011 07:47 AM
Enigma1969
Enigma1969  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I would really wise to go to your interview in person. I had an interview after I was accepted. The guy who did our post interview, is the same guy who called to tell that I have been approved. I have to have a care-taker take care of my money. Been hospital about 10 times and the judge said I'm approved if I can find a person to handle my money, so I put wife down. Totally trust. I love her and know she wouldn't take my money and frivolously spend it. Hope this helps.

Post edited by: Enigma1969, at: 09/24/2011 07:49 AM

09/24/2011 10:21 AM
MysticLyme
MysticLyme  

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts - it was VERY helpful to me!! It does sound like going in-person is probably better for the reasons you listed. I know it will make me feel more at ease having my advocate there with me instead of "lost and alone" on a phone. Barelymanic, good point about the large % of non-verbal communication! I think that might even be why I can understand what is going on better in-person - can "read" people's faces/reactions to me.

I'll keep you updated with what happens. Crossing fingers things go smoothly...I'm already appealing a long term disability (from last employer's insurance co)claim denial so I could really use some good news for a change!

One oft he hard things is that I haven't had any income in many months, and one of my main Lyme doctors does not accept my state (Medicaid type prog) medical insurance. Sad

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved