MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/12/2011 05:50 AM

Time line once approved for benefits

fibrofog
fibrofog  

Does anyone know (from experience) what the time line is once you receive your letter stating you're approved for benefits? How long before you receive your back pay award? How long before you will start receiving your monthly checks? I have been told 2 different things regarding a 5 month waiting period. I was also told that SSA takes a portion of your award as payment for their time and efforts in handling your case. To me that makes no sense whatsoever but this is what I was told by my case worker from B & B!! Of course I am aware that B & B will get their cut as well so I know that wasn't what she was referring to. I am so confused Dizzy

08/12/2011 06:08 AM
Vannort54

It all depends if you are just getting ssdi it should only take a couple of weeks to get your back pay and your monthly check should start the next month that you receive your approval letter. when you are getting both ssdi and ssi that is a whole other story you will most likely get your monthly check first and depending on how much tour back pay is it could take up to a year to get it all because when you are on ssi you can only receive so much money per month. So they break up your back pay so you only receive so much at at time. look here

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/social-security-disability- advice-discussions/general-support/1929458-ssi-back-payment- help

08/12/2011 06:28 AM
fibrofog
fibrofog  

Thank you for your quick response! It will just be SSDI, I didn't even apply for SSI since they told me my (then boyfriend) husband's income would exclude me from qualifying. Do you know anything about the 5 month waiting period? Or anything about SSA taking a cut?

08/12/2011 09:41 AM
gdevinney

SSA does not take a cut. The 5 month "waiting period" that will can not get benefits for the first 5 months after you stop working.

The letter should have told you when you will get your first check. Any retro has to go to your attorney for his cut first so a lot of that depends on how quickly they respond. Without an attorney retro checks usually go out within a few weeks, but SSA can be backlogged.

If you used direct deposit, check your account periodically.

08/12/2011 10:17 AM
Vannort54

Social Security assumes that working families have access to other resources to provide support during periods of short-term disabilities, including workers compensation, insurance, savings and investments. Social Security is designed to provide a continuing income to you and your family when you are unable to do so. Benefits continue as long as you remain disabled this is why they have the 5 month waiting period. Also your award letter will tell you how much your lawyer will get out of your back pay and how much you will receive SSA pays your lawyer and SSA pays you your back pay you and your lawyer are done unless you signed a contract stating you may owe for misc items.

Post edited by: Vannort54, at: 08/12/2011 10:19 AM

08/12/2011 02:14 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Agreed! You should receive letters from the SSA explaining "everything". You might get multiple letters, but they are very good at documenting and letting you know how much you'll receive for monthly payments, as well as when to expect your first payment. They send separate letters telling you about your back-pay.

Oh, since this is SSD and not SSI- no matter who's living in your house... that won't determine if you get benefits and/or how much you'll get. SSD is all about 'you'.

08/12/2011 02:21 PM
Vannort54

that's weird i got one letter with my back pay info and my monthly benefit it was on my award letter and it explained hoe they came to this figure and how much they sent to my lawyer.and it said i would be reviewed in 7 years.

08/17/2011 09:34 AM
fibrofog
fibrofog  

UPDATE: Yesterday was one week since I received my letter saying I had been approved for SSD! Today I checked my bank account and had a deposit for my back pay!! Of course this was minus the attorney fees and what appears to be 5 months pay that I was told by my attorney that Social Security would withhold as their fee for admin costs! I still have not received an "award" letter breaking this all down and letting me know what to expect all I know is what I had figured my back pay award would be then subtracted 6k for the attorney and it appears another 6k was held by the SSA. So I am still in the dark! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

08/17/2011 12:58 PM
fibrofog
fibrofog  

They said the 5 month withholding was SSA's admin fee. Why do they take 5 months pay from us anyway?

08/17/2011 01:08 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

I guess I don't understand about a 5 month withholding for SSA's Administrative fees. They don't get anything. Only who ever represents you. I think your attorney is giving you false information when it comes to that.

I highly suggest that if you're really not getting 5 months of money- contact your local SSA office and ask them about this.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved