MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/11/2011 09:11 PM

dont know what to do

Yacopsae22
Yacopsae22  

i know i should just be thankful that i have been approved but...i am not going to lie, with all of my medical bills, cost of living, food, simply living...650 doesn't exactly cut it...i dont know what to do, for rent and medical alone it comes to 700, i have to pay for my car insurance, my phone and electrical bills, i have to pay for gas, i owe well over five thousand dollars to numerous banks and people at the moment, i will not even have close to a sufficient amount to not have to be homeless to even think about paying anything off...i dont know what to do...i did not have a very sufficient amount of work history/records, nor did my late father whom the amount i receive is based on...

im scared i will end up on the streets

01/11/2011 09:28 PM
ERVARGASNY

Wow, that sounds tough, what state r u in? 650 is pretty low, try applying for low income housing where ur rent would be like 200 or less for a 1 bedroom apt, apply for food stamps also, i dont know where u live at, but here in NY 650 a month, will not even get you a single room :o/

01/12/2011 10:00 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

If you don't have family to live with, I would definitely apply for section 8 housing. I'm taking this off the top of my head, but I believe that they only make you pay 30% of your income towards rent, and the rest is subsidized by the government.

I hear there's usually a long waiting list for this, however. If you get stuck in the meantime, I would go to social services, tell them your situation, and see what they say. I have a very extended family member who was disabled and homeless in NJ, and they actually put her up in a motel until her disability was approved. So you never know what programs might be out there. The problem in your case is that you HAVE been approved, they're just not giving you enough money to survive on. Most people who receive that amount are living with family or something, there are few places in the country where you can survive on so little by yourself.

01/12/2011 05:51 PM
Gen1975
Gen1975  

I thought I read you could apply for Supplimental Security SSI if you SSDI is low. You may want to look into that Wink I was actually banking on that myself. Mine actually is only 780 they dropped it from last year by almost 100$ so it says on the SS thing you get every year. ;o/

01/14/2011 07:29 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

Gen, you can apply for SSI if your SSDI is lower than you would receive with SSI to make up the difference... but $650 is about all you're going to get with SSI.

01/14/2011 05:53 PM
poorjane
poorjane  

Are you getting SSI or SSDI? In any case, you should apply for state assistance for housing, food stamps, medicaid. Unless you apply you won't know what you are entitled to. Its tough learning to live on a limited income/ I,like many others,gave up my house and had had to move in with family/friends just to make ends meet. wish I could offer a better answer.

01/15/2011 11:11 AM
sher2277
sher2277  

Im in the same bout as you, but I get a little more because I worked for many years and my 10 year old gets ssi because she is under 18 and living with me, but I can't sirvive on this little bit of money either. I was out on workmens comp then they told me I had to apply for SS and because I was awarded SSDI for depression I can't get my workmenscomp. I go depressed from all the pain I am in and because I loved my job and wanted to go back to work and couldn't.I wasn't depressed first. I own my own house and love living by my self, but everyone says they have had to move in with someone. I believe that will make me more depressed. When my daughter turns 18 the money I get for her will no longer be coming in. Then what will I do? I do not want to live with my grown kids with crying babies. Im too sick to even think about getting a husband.As it stands right now my mother is helping me with the Ins and taxes for the house and car. I just try not to think about it until the time comes

01/16/2011 05:35 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

My brother told me about some sort of houseing for people on social security he said they take like 350-400 month from his check each month and that included his electric bill and such.

01/16/2011 06:25 PM
ladysheets

alot of senior places rent to the disabled also. you dont have to be a senior.

Its very low income also.

01/26/2011 11:37 PM
Yacopsae22
Yacopsae22  

thank you all so much, it turns out since my father passed away and i am disabled before the age of 22 i am eligible for receiving benefits from his work history...i might be able to live in a home with bare minimum food. i am looking into income based housing. 750 in Austin,TX is not even close to enough to provide for the most basic living essentials. they even screwed me a year and a half out of my onset date because of my attempts to work...tis unfortunate because i have now officially lost everything. in Austin Texas you cannot afford to live off of 750 on your own...oh and i have an announcement...a child is on the way--will i be homeless with my baby??? i appreciate the suggestions and your help it is genuinely appreciated! if anyone has further suggestions...well, i would forever honor your reciprocity

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved