MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/12/2010 07:29 PM

what do you say when ask to discribe your day?

ladysheets

I am not sure how to answer this question that i will probably be asked at my hearing. What do you do on a typical day?

I keep going over and over in my head what i do and it sounds so corny. wake up at 6 coffee and breakfast by 8

so on and so on.

Have any of you had to answer this? what did you say?

Shocked

12/12/2010 07:38 PM
poorjane
poorjane  

so far your reply is good, continue.... I started with being honest stating that some nights I don't sleep, and combined with meds, just getting out of bed was difficult, Just doing basic personal grooming took all morning, let alone daily chores such as laundry which could be all day. Go into detail about how your disability symptons impede on everyday things. Do you have more pain some days, do you have brain fog, forget things, get hurt doing stupid things (ie, trying to grab car door before keys get locked inside, 3xs) How do everyday situations affect you...standing in line at grocery store, let alone food shopping?... I would suggest you keep a journal or notebook and jot these things down. Sometime important things slip your mind when a questions is asked, but having written notes will be invaluable. So how is your day?

12/12/2010 08:21 PM
ladysheets

my day is very much like you said. Its hard for me to think clear when i first wake up . My nerve pain meds keep me pretty foggy. Im very stif and have to work my body slowly to get it moving good it the morning.

On a good day i may only take 2 naps after breakfast and after lunch. its often noon before i have myself together.

On days i have a dr appt. My whole day is taken up by that since i have to travel 1 hour each way to see the dr. pick up meds ect. My husband always drives me to appts.Im not able to hang on the stearing wheel without my hands going numb on me.And the sciatica in my left leg prevent me from sitting in one position any amount of time.

thank you for you in put it has helped me word things better and i will take some notes.

12/13/2010 05:00 AM
6katmom
6katmom  

In my paperwork I just wrote down exactly what I do from the time I get up, go to bed, and how I sleep. I know it does sound ridiculous but you want them to understand the hardships you encounter on a typical day.Sideways

Post edited by: 6katmom, at: 12/13/2010 05:00 AM

12/13/2010 06:17 AM
poorjane
poorjane  

Oh yes, I forgot, It is very helpful to state that you do require assistance for everyday things such as grooming, cooking,cleaning, driving. Be as specific as possible, every little note counts and takes out a lot of guess work on the adjuster's side. Remember you are trying to prove you are unable to do any type of Substantial Gainful Employment due to your disability.

12/14/2010 07:12 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

You've been given some wonderful advice here. I hope this has helped.

I know that I explained somethings, and knew I'd forgotten some. This is where my attorney stepped in and reminded me of a few things. Also, I had a nice judge. She asked me some questions too. Like who fed our cat and dog? Who drove me to the doctor?

Try not to worry too much about it. It'll be okay. And whatever you say will be okay. Be as detailed as you can though.

12/14/2010 09:47 AM
ladysheets

thank you so much

12/14/2010 10:50 AM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

For me this question was very embarrassing, but key in getting my approval. I didn't have to go to court, but the forms I was asked to fill out had many questions about what I do all day. DO be completely honest... BUT... remember, this is a legal battle. Just like an attorney would do, focus the most on the areas that support your case.

When I was asked this question, I was practically bed-ridden. Between depression, anxiety, and severe panic attacks, I did very little. I woke up in the morning, got dressed, and moved to the couch. So I was probably on my back 22 hours a day. Meals were either prepared by someone else. Or if I was feeding myself, I would eat whatever required no work, like eating lunchmeat right out of the container. I am severely agoraphobic, and at that point I only left the house to go to dr appointments. In addition to my myriad of psych issues, I have severe depression that is thus far untreatable by every drug they've tried, and I've really been through the gambit of them. I believe they call it treatment-resistant depression.

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff they need to know. They are going to try to relate the tasks you do at home with tasks you could do at work, and make a determination if you are capable of doing any type of job.

Luckily things are getting better. One, I'm motivated to get better and work again. Two, the family member I live with is going through cancer treatment, and the fact that she needs my assistance has forced me to do what I have to to take care of her.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved