MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/08/2010 11:27 AM

living good on SSDI/SSI

ladysheets

Where do you think the best places to live are for a person living on SSDI/SSI.

I may have that delema in my life soon and am just wondering what all of you think.

12/08/2010 12:53 PM
ERVARGASNY

Def, def, def, do not come to ny, it will be impossible to live here on SSDI a one bed room can cost you $1,300 a month and iam not talking Manhattan. Im talking in one of the other 4 boros out of the 5. I have a friend who has the same problem, so he moved to Puerto Rico, rents a house for $300 a month in a not so great area, but nice house and land for the money, but you can get a nice apt out there for 600-1000 in a nice area you will need a car out in P.R gas is about $2.85 a gallon, clothes are regular price, food is regular price, car insurance is cheap, light bills are as expensive as NY, gas is pretty cheap you buy a small - large propaone tank for about $20 - $100 he has the small propane tank, uses it for a month stove and dryer usage, so thats pretty cheap. Car's are little more pricey, used cars add about $2000-4000 more then united state prices, and new cars add $5000-12000 depending if luxury or not, but one thing i have to tell you the medical docotor waiting time sucks out here, there is no appointments made " Very Unproffesional" doctos office opens at 8am and people are making lines at 6am some people sit there up 8 hours to see a medical doctor and thats insane, if you ask me yhe governmemt office are also horrible, they want to only take 20 people a day send home 10 home for incorrect paper work attennd another 5 in 2 hours then bleed the other five people till 5pm, they are the worst government employees ive seen Ever, and the Governer is just as bad so your complains will go unheard unless you sued the agency, lol so if you can get passed Lazy Crooked Government, and waiting time at doctos offices, you should be fine, ohh dont know what race you are but there are alot of americans who live and work on the island, and the sceanary is awsome weather is Tropical. Hope this helps some..[ol]

Post edited by: ERVARGASNY, at: 12/08/2010 12:58 PM

12/08/2010 04:48 PM
jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

I recently received my SSDI, but I'm still living with a family member because they are going through a health problem. When I do move, one of the places I am considering going is upstate New York. My mother lives about 50 miles east of Utica, right on the edge of the Adirondacks. It's a very poor area because there is no work, but that's not a problem if you're not capable of working and on disability. Apartments in her area start at $375 a month. My mother rents a three bedroom house for $400 a month (the house is not in great condition). It's not unusual to find an apartment for $500 utilities included. The only caveat is that even though rent is so cheap, New York is an expensive state to live in. Expect to pay more for taxes, car insurance, that sort of stuff.

Where do you live now? Moving is VERY expensive, so you'd probably want to find something relatively close by, and know you're going to be there for a while. I lost almost all my possessions, so when I move I will be furnishing the house from scratch. I don't even own a bed. I plan on finding someplace I can stay for a very long time, because I can't imagine being able to afford to move. After paying off all my debts and buying a car, I still have some money from my back pay tucked away, but I would hate to use it on moving. It's somewhat cheap to rent a Uhaul or something, but I could never move the furniture by myself and it's unlikely I would have someone to help me move, especially if I was moving long distance.

It can be very frustrating to have to move away to an area you can afford. I lived in Washington, DC for over ten years before my disability began, but there's absolutely no way I could afford to move back there.

Post edited by: jmick, at: 12/08/2010 04:50 PM

12/08/2010 09:53 PM
janquito
janquito  

Wisconsin is a great state but that's only because I was born and raised here. Taxes are high, government for the most part sucks, the scenery is wonderful if that counts. Wink I think rent is high for our area. Our area acts like we have high society around but we don't. When I lived in Las Vegas, it was nice. If I remember right, Nevada doesn't have state tax. Or was that Arizona? Anyway, I liked living out west. Would do it again if it weren't for the price of moving and having family here. I'd not want to do that again, especially now that I'm not able to work means not able to do much of any moving so that would mean having to afford a moving company that would do everything for us. That is pricey! Best wishes!

12/09/2010 08:41 AM
jmick
VIP Member

I actually looked at moving to Wisconsin on a whim just because someone I know who lives there spoke so highly of the area. It was Sheboygan, about an hour north of Milwaukee. From all my research, my money would have gone a long way there. For $700 a month you could get a two bedroom apartment with a fireplace and a garage. Less "fancy" apartments could be found for around $500 a month.

Right now I'm in Delaware, there's no sales tax, I'm not sure about income tax. But if I understand things correctly, most people don't need to pay taxes on their disability. I think I read that you paid if you made over 25k, and I'm at 23k, so I should be just under the mark. But I'm new to being on disability, I'm not 100% sure that is true yet.

Sometimes if you're moving locally you can find guys who do it on the side and don't charge that much... but hiring a company to move you long distance is outrageously expensive.

Another factor for me in determining a place to live is whether it's easy to find work there. There is a chance I can get better, and if I do I want to be living somewhere I could find a job.

** I just did some research and I was correct, you only pay taxes if you make more than 25k, or 32k if you're filing jointly with your spouse.

Post edited by: jmick, at: 12/09/2010 08:44 AM

12/09/2010 09:08 AM
ladysheets

thanks jmick for the info. We live in Alaska and if we move we are going to where the weather is warmer. love it here but housing is outrages !

I dont have my Disability yet, but i am sure hoping i get it. My hearing is Jan. 21

12/10/2010 10:14 PM
janquito
janquito  

Yes, I guess you can get nice places to live just about anywhere you go, you just need to check it out first. I guess Sheboygan is pretty reasonable. I've never been there. I agree with you, Ladysheets, I'd want to move where it is warmer. I have lived in Vegas and Phoenix oh and also Florida. I think as I get older and as the cold really hurts my body, those places are looking better and better! Wink

12/11/2010 09:32 AM
ladysheets

we have 3 places in mind. Branson Missouri,kauai hawaii and here in girdwood ak.

im checking resorces in all places. Thanks for all the input.

12/12/2010 04:10 PM
jmick
VIP Member

If you're looking for an apartment, look out for apartments that require that you make under a certain amount of money. They are usually much cheaper than the market rate for whatever area you're looking in.

I would love to live in Hawaii (I'm such a beach bum) but I could never go that far away from family... I really need support sometimes so it's nice to have family close by. What a change that would be from Alaska!

12/12/2010 07:23 PM
ladysheets

yes , my family lives in Missouri and i do miss them. I have been away this time for about 9 years. Lots of emails and phone calls.

My husbands father is here in alaska.We do love it here but the cold and darkness does ware on you after a few years. Sunshine and warmth sounds so much better the older i get.

We dontknow where we are going yet, ONe day at a time.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved