MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/13/2010 03:48 PM

Losing Medicaid after an approval

jmick
jmickPosts: 13899
VIP Member

I was just approved for SSDI, but I don't become eligible for Medicare for 6-7 months. I thought my medicaid would continue until I got on Medicare, but I was just informed I am no longer eligible because of my SSDI income.

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do? I am looking at hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of medical care and medications without medicaid coverage.

09/14/2010 10:29 AM
poorjane
poorjane  

OUCH !!! have you contacted your local social services agencies and asked what to do in your situation?? How about going online to Medicare? I too am trying the learn about Medicare A/B,

income qualifications for Part B premium waiver, and possible prescription plan discounts, also not sure about what supplemtal plan I can enroll in. If I find anything out, will let you know.

09/14/2010 01:42 PM
jmick
VIP Member

Social Services just told me I was on my own... I can purchase insurance, but when you're buying insurance on your own it's mostly only good for emergencies or unexpected health problems. What I need is help paying my psychiatrist and therapist each month and paying for the many drugs I'm on.

It looks like for now I might stop my therapy sessions. I will pay my psychiatrist out of pocket ($195 a visit). And I am looking into joining the Walgreens prescription club to help pay for my prescriptions. I get a pretty good amount for disability, but my mental health needs are so expensive that it will be tough to get by. I guess I just have to shell out the money until I qualify for medicare.

It's almost enough to make me want to stop taking my medications, but I know that would be very unwise because of the issues I have.

Post edited by: jmick, at: 09/14/2010 01:43 PM

09/14/2010 03:06 PM
destiney

Hugs, We cant win for losing.

09/16/2010 12:08 AM
poorjane
poorjane  

I totall understand your situation and it sucks !!! Its ironic that you finally get approvedn for SSDI, but lose your medicaid. Even if you should get a "retro check" its not helping you now!!!! Talk to your psychiatris about the health insurnce situationkn mayve he an cut you a break....my therapist only charge me what he would have received from the insurane I formally had,,..and he allowed me a paymentment plan.

As for prescritions, you may want to try to research tne pharmaceutical company....some do offer free drugs for specific situtions. also ask your doctors if hey have samplesl

One of daughter's providers was more than happy to unload severa montha worth of samples to us. us. Same with my mom,..she got samples of a drug, that her insurnce company would not cover. Lastly, I believe that at least in NJ, if you go to the crisis cener, they have to supply you with the presriton you need.

Hang in there you've gottent this far, things will soons

09/16/2010 02:14 AM
qtscot

Hi there,

please dont stop taking your medications especially if they are for mental health issues. As a nurse i have seen many patients in dire emergencies cos they did just that! If there is any way possible try and get them. find out if there is a generic that is cheaper? also some drugs come as combination medications ( they combine two at a time and the drug co calls them by a different name) and they can charge alot more for them that way. I have a antihypertensive med that was a combinations drug was to cost me $300 a bottle and my MD said he wold just order them separate. They were then $1 a pill!!!

09/16/2010 06:30 PM
jmick
VIP Member

qtscot,

I'm not going to stop taking my medications, I just may have to ask my psychiatrist to make some changes if some of the drugs I'm on are outrageously expensive.

09/16/2010 06:44 PM
tess012

Have you tried to look up the name of the pharmaceutical that manufactures your medication? I know that Astra Zeneca offered finacial help to obtain Seroquel and also othe pharmaceuticals offer assistance as well. I was a former case manager in the mental health field and found out that there is help available.

09/16/2010 09:00 PM
poorjane
poorjane  

Thinking of you and hope you are making some progress. Is there a local mental health organization in your area or a NAMI group...they may have information or know of programs that may help you out.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved