MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/16/2010 06:10 PM

SSD and SSI back pay

jrpbox293
jrpbox293  

What kind of things can I spend my SSD back pay on?

And what can I spend my son's SSI back pay on?

I have no bills to speak of because my wife works and has been able to pay then for us.

I just don't want to end up in trouble with SSA over the spending of my back pay.

Thanks!

James

08/18/2010 09:32 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

I'm not sure about the SSI. But, the SSD can be spent on pretty much anything. BUT! Keep in mind that SSA will ask you how you spent the money. AND, they ask that you return anything that you don't spend. So, I would make sure it's on things like: eyes, dental, medical, extra-curricular activities, his lunches, etc.

08/18/2010 09:50 AM
jrpbox293
jrpbox293  

Thanks for the reply fibroforever,

My wife is worried because I said I'd like a small boat and a camping trailer out of my SSD, we already need a vehicle and agreed a pick-up would be great for us.

I'm only 47 years old, can still walk, see, and drive so I say why not, I have what I hope is many more years to enjoy camping, and don't see why this would be wrong of me, as long as I don't use my son's SSI back-pay to buy those things with.

I see disabled people camping all the time and most camp grounds offer discounts to the retired and disabled.

James

Post edited by: jrpbox293, at: 08/18/2010 09:51 AM

08/21/2010 02:25 AM
shaz66
shaz66  

My sister is going through the same thing with her two kids. She has seperate bank accounts for them, and that money is strictly for them. some expenditures are dental, ortodontic, optical, sports, lessons like tennis horseback riding. etc. Plus their will be school clothes. She wants to put aside enough to get both kids a care when they turn 16, and put some aside for college. I am not sure they will allow that though. I will be in the same boat myself shortly. I am going to ask for written instructions on how the money may be spent. Do they tell you it has to be spent by a certain date. I am glad you brought this to my attention. I will be on top of it when the time comes.

08/21/2010 06:36 AM
jrpbox293
jrpbox293  

If I understand correctly what my mother and sister have both told me, is that they only give you 30 days to spend your SSD backpay and 10 days to spend your childs SSI backpay.

I still do not know for sure what I can Spend me SSD backpay on, but may find out when I get my desicion hopefully in my favor in about two-weeks "fingers crossed".

I do know the SSI pay has to be spent on the child and spent responsibly as it should be.

Thanks for your reply Shaz66

James

08/21/2010 01:40 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Jamee- I can't remember... did you have an attorney? If so, I would call and ask about 'your SSD back-pay'. I've never heard, or read, anything stating that the back-pay had to be spent within 30 days. If you didn't have an attorney, call SSA and ask them.

08/21/2010 04:56 PM
stuccogirl

I Know SSi backpay has to be spent within six months of payment if not it will be counted as an asset Single no more then 2000 in assets or 3000 for married they dont count your home or car and also what you can use the Back pay for children for thier needs and Educational and also colthes medicine also recerational also jf car needs repaired and used to transport the child you can use it SS will tell you but get everything in writing And keep all letters recieved by SS do not get rid of them ever keep reciepts for items you buy Always keep track of dates and who you speak to and time this very important also its best to talk to local SS office not the 800 No

08/28/2010 04:50 PM
shaz66
shaz66  

I called the 1- 800# for SS, and asked if they Had a pamphlet that would explain the rules regarding my daughters back pay, and her monthly check. Which she gets off of my SSD. He explained that I didn't have to spend the money in any time frame. He also said he would send me a pamphlet explaing the rules. He also stated that SSDI has different rules. I don't qualify for that. I am supposed to receive the information in 10 days or less. If anyone is confused I would suggest they call the SS office for the information. There is too much misinformation out there.

08/28/2010 04:58 PM
destiney

My son gets SSI and his back pay had to go into a seperate account and the money could not be touched without SSs approval and I had to show notes from the doctor things were needed. He got back over 6,000 and we only had a certain amount of time to spend it. I asked for a fence, a computer and some educational toys they allowed those things. I asked for a car and clothing they wouldnt approve either. They said the monthly check will cover clothing and a car is not a need for him. They wouldnt even by into needing it to drive him back and forth to doctors,They said we had to travel so far before they would think about a car the distance of his doctors we could use cabs..etc.

08/28/2010 05:01 PM
destiney

pss...I was talking about SSI for a disabled child.. Not child payments from a parent getting SSD.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved