MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/13/2008 11:45 AM

What will SSI doctor do or ask @ mental exam ?

starburst

My husband has filed for SSID , for bipolar. He has numerous medical records for the past 10yrs. SSI contacted him and is sending him to one of their doctors next Thursday for a mental exam. Does anyone know what questions or what they might want him to do at this exam ?

08/13/2008 03:06 PM
glory
glory  
VIP Member

Yes, I had the mental exam. First though, welcome to the site. We are all here to help each other.

They ran a whole battery of tests, same place, different rooms. I first had a physical, next room eyes, next room ears, next room lungs, (breathing/respiratory evaluation)and then the psych exam was last. I was so exhausted and drained by this time I could hardly move. He started by asking about my childhood. At that point I started crying, but the sequence went like this; he would say some numbers like 4 of them...I had to repeat. He did this for quite a while. Number after number. Sometime 3 together, sometimes 4, sometimes 2. He then askded me to spell pretty common words. Then he would say a word & I had to say the first thing that popped into my head. I don't know whether this was all of the test or he couldn't stand my crying anymore, lolol, but he told me to got to the waiting room. You find out nothing that day though.

08/13/2008 07:27 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

When I had to go to the psychological doctor for SSD, all she did was basically ask the same questions that I had completed on the first forms I completed. Uhm... just a second, I'm gonna look and see what those were called. ---- It was the 'Adult Function Report'.

I hate to say this, But... when I left there, I felt like it had been a waste of my time, her time, and tax payers dollars. As I was only there 15 minutes.

Keep in mind that this was a year ago that I went there. My life is different than it was then. Things have changed, I have changed, and I can honestly say that I'm way more depressed now than I was at that time.

I hope he does okay. He will be anxious and depressed when the time comes. So just hang in there and continue to be there for him. You are wonderful for helping him out.

08/16/2008 05:50 PM
mamanordy

I am with Amy on this. It was a true waste of taxpayers dollars, my psych eval was a joke. Fifteen minutes tops. I had to see him twice, same guy, after a year interval. I think he copied from the first one onto the second one, because I was different in the second one and he didnt even document my changes. ( I saw the reports). Big joke.

08/19/2008 11:40 AM
jsrace
jsrace  

I'm in the waiting mode for the psy tests - so keep us posted. My daughter and niece are bipolar. My niece was in the hospital twice, then she applied last Nov for SSDI and was approved and got her first check last Apr. Just a little FYI.

Good luck and God Bless,

Joan

02/28/2011 08:05 AM
rtg33905

My mental health test was like psychologist's hair, face, clothing very unkempt like she came to exam out of gym-lol. I could not look her in the eye or so such seems-like she was unprepared for exam, asked me about how I got deformed, etc, how I feel , then asked questions, then told me 3 thintgs-at end of exam she asked me what those 3 words were-i could only remember 2 of them. She also asked me to count backwards from 100 by 7's..exam was half hour long, I limped in, tried to sit, she asked why was AI fidgeting in seat? Hurts to sit...I got up, showed her my crooked back when she asked what was wrong with me-she says I DESERVE and will get SSio this first time but apparently SS didn't think so, I just got denied.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved