MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/07/2010 12:15 PM

Applying without a Doctor

Kat5150
Kat5150  

This is a dumb question but I'll ask anyhow. If I don't currently have a doctor, can I still get disability? I haven't applied yet. I keep telling myself that I don't need to. But I am just wiped out and can't do any more. I need to apply.

The doctor I had before we moved gave me a diagnosis and said I would qualify for disability. Now we've moved and I can't get to a doctor because I can't afford it. I saw one who was an idiot. He clearly thought my old doctor was a nut and really didn't do anything for me but write referrals that I can't get to because we can't pay for them right now.

So, if I apply, will I be wasting my time? Do I need to wait until I find a cooperative doctor? I think most won't want to see me if I tell them I am trying to get disability.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

01/07/2010 12:23 PM
breezyhope
breezyhope  

kat5150, i would think that a doctor would be needed so that you could have documentation of your disability but doubt if you need one simply to file for disability. you have said that your prior doc said you were disabled so you could provide those medical records to soc sec. i think i remember seeing on here where some claimants had to see a social security doc but that was not the case with me, so i don't know if that is an option as far as documenting your disability. as it has taken so long for my case i would strongly recommend that you file sooner rather than later. do you not have insurance is that why you cannot go to the doc? sometimes docs will work with people that don't have insurance. another alternative might be to check on a state insurance program. good luck! wendy

01/07/2010 02:21 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

kat, I agree with Wendy. I think that you should have a doc for documentation. But, the process takes for EVER, so, you'll have plenty of time to put in the app, get denied, file appeals, AND get a doc!

I would also ask around for a referral, you may even ask the doctor that you saw in your other home town for a referral. You do not want to go through a bunch of docs before you find another one that will validate your disability... I'm not sure, but I think that if SSA were to get their hands on doc notes that didn't believe you, it could be hurtful for your claim.

Good luck,

Jen

01/07/2010 02:28 PM
oroman
oroman  

Nice to meet you all.

Okay, tell me what I should do first, Should I call the social security office first?

I have fibro, osteo arthritis, depression, etc... I am 57 yrs old and have worked since the age of 16.

Thanks.

Olga

01/07/2010 02:35 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

Hi Olga, Not sure how the others have filed, but I did mine all online. I've heard that the phone line and in person line can be awful!

01/07/2010 02:38 PM
Kat5150
Kat5150  

No, no insurance anymore. Before we moved, we made more money and we were able to pay for everything ourselves. After we moved (hoping to improve my health) my husband struggled to find work. He got a part time job with amazing insurance but we couldn't manage on it so he got a full time job and lost the insurance. So we are barely getting by, but we still don't qualify for any assistance. We make too much money (what a joke).

I still owe my old doctor money so I'm not sure how to go about getting my records. The new doctor I saw was a jerk. I won't go back. We should have insurance in about two months so I can try to see a doctor then if by some miracle I find a good one.

I keep telling myself I will apply but I feel like I can't. I know I have to stop working if I apply. I don't think we can get by if I stop working. I don't think they would ever approve me if I'm still working. I work from home as an independent contractor, so there is no LTD or STD. I'm not sure what to do. I want to apply. I need to apply. But I'm not sure if I can.

01/07/2010 02:39 PM
oroman
oroman  

You know, I got the information to the site not too long ago, but did not do anything with it since I thought that perhaps I had to go thru my doc's. Good to know since it doesn't seem like I can't do it. I rather do it this way than go in person to their offices.

Thanks.

Post edited by: oroman, at: 01/07/2010 02:40 PM

01/07/2010 02:40 PM
breezyhope
breezyhope  

olga, definitely on line and make copies of everything!! good luck! wendy

Post edited by: breezyhope, at: 01/07/2010 02:42 PM

01/07/2010 02:42 PM
oroman
oroman  

Ha, its like you know me already, I make copies of everything and jot down the time and name of the person I speak with. My memory is not too good so its a handy way to keep all of the important stuff together.

01/07/2010 02:47 PM
jrose72
jrose72  

Kat, I think that it depends on how many hours you are working. But, I think that you are right, if you are working full time, SSD will not consider you unable to work.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved