MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/16/2013 10:48 AM

alj hearing march 11, 2013

bluerag504

My husband went in front of judge Motta in Dayton Ohio Monday march 11 for his hearing. He has a lawyer and he was only in with the judge for roughly 10-15 minutes. She asked him questions and the vocational expert gave suggestions of jobs etc. his Dr wrote a letter a while back saying he cannot work and he has been under a Dr care for over a year. Judge said she will be reviewing his info and she will give a decision in 30 days. His lawyer said he has a really good chance of being approved. he applied in October 2011 but has been disabled since April 2010 hoping he gets a decision sooner than 30 days. He has a mental condition that prevents him from working.

03/16/2013 10:57 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

About a year and five months for a hearing...not bad wait time. I wish your husband good luck. What is his age and his disability if you don't mind sharing?

03/16/2013 11:01 AM
bluerag504

He is almost 32 and has schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety, panic attacks, learning disability and he gets very overwhelmed easily. He also has a very bad anger problem. He has been medicated for over a year n it has been being increased. The first couple times he got denied they told him he could work with minimal contact with ppl ha that's funny.

03/16/2013 11:08 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

He is quite young. Did he apply for SSI or SSDI?

03/16/2013 11:13 AM
bluerag504

He applied for both.

03/16/2013 11:27 AM
MMollie
MMollie  
I'm an Advocate

It sounds like he has a disease of Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type. I have many of the same symptoms. I know the disease well. The doctors need to get him on the correct medication. They finally got me on the correct cocktail and I'm living a fairly normal life. I still hear voices once in a while, see "shadow people", get overwhelmed really easily but the anger bursts have gone to nil.

The reason for the anger attacks and the learning disability is because of the Schizophrenia part of the disease. We have an extremely hard time retaining things. It took me years to learn "I before E except after C" . That's a recent accomplishment. We also have problems with memory. That's frustrating. Before I was medicated I would lose days of my life. There are still things I don't remember and I've been on the meds for 5 years.

He does need to be on disability. Psychosis is a very big part of his life. His mood disorder directly effects his Scizophrenia. The higher or lower he goes, the worse the hallucinations and delusions get.

Going emotionally flatline is also another symptom. I call it "shutting down". It's where he doesn't seem to care about anything. He does, he just doesn't know how to deal with the emotions. Also, hidding is yet another symptom. This could be part of the reason they said as long as he doesn't have to deal with people he "should" be ok, but he's not going to be ok.

Don't let him hide. His disease will tell him to. Keep secretes, don't let anyone know he's good at putting on a facad. Don't ever think he is dumb by any expanse of the imagination. We are extremely intelligent. Look at all we have to deal with.

I pray he gets full disability. For your sake and his.

03/16/2013 11:43 AM
bluerag504

That fits him to a T. He is struggling so much. He hates waiting for the judge to make a decision, but I pray as well that he gets it as well. The vocational expert gave scenarios of work but she said there were a few jobs he couldn't do. His lawyer said his medical evidence will tremendously help cuz his Dr said he cannot work at all so let's hope she goes solely on medical evidence. His lawyer thought it to be odd that he was only in there 10-15 minutes but said that's a possible good sign. Also he had a psych eval last year and it said the exact same thing as his psych eval he had done in 2005. I hope it don't take 30 days.

03/16/2013 04:47 PM
heatherj78
heatherj78Posts: 1673

welcome to the forum and good luck!!! Laughing

03/16/2013 07:03 PM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 2887
Group Leader

@Heather, I'm going to pull a Wolfman, nice pic.. lol

03/16/2013 07:11 PM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

Pulling a Wolfman, LOL @ Elvis! Very nice pic though...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved