MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/29/2013 09:14 AM

Approved for SSI = Automatic Approval for SSDI?

Poohtiglet

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Smile Just have a question for anyone who can possibly help me out. I was approved for SSI. I never received an award letter. I did get a Direct Express card and a couple days after that a check for some backpay. Then, a week or two later, I received an information packet on choosing an insurance plan for Medicaid. I also went to the SSA.gov website and created an account, which shows what my monthly payment amount will be and when it will start (Feb. 2013.)

My question is this: Does getting approved for SSI automatically mean I will get approved for SSDI? I do have the required credits. My rep with Allsup said I will get it, but I've heard other stories about people getting denied or still having to wait a long time for SSDI approval, even after getting approved for SSI. Sorry if this sounds confusing...I'm a bit confused myself! lol Wink

01/29/2013 09:45 AM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 2885
Group Leader

If you're on Medicare then you're on SSDI, you can't get Medicare if you're on SSI only.

01/29/2013 10:53 AM
LostInCyberspace12
LostInCyberspace12  
Group Leader

Hmmmm, interesting question Poohtiglet! You know I would think you would also be approved for SSDI if you qualify. The medical requirements are the same for both of them from what I understand. The non-medical requirements are different however. If you qualify for SSDI (have the work credits), I don't see why they would not approve you for SSDI. I would have to say yes since you are already (approved) disabled medically for SSI. I would have to agree with Allsup here. Curious, exactly how long did it take to get the SSI approval.....from start to finish I mean? They are probably just trying to figure out what you should get from SSDI and what from SSI. The payment processing ctr in Baltimore (SSDI) has nothing to do with SSI I think so may take awhile to get the dollar amounts from each figured out.

01/29/2013 01:47 PM
Poohtiglet

@ Elvis: Nope, it's Medicaid when you get SSI. I'm currently getting SSI. I got information for a Medicaid plan.

@ Lost: I applied on my own in April, 2011. Got my denial letter in August, 2011. Signed up with Allsup in September, 2011 and submitted an appeal through them in October, 2011. Someone from SSA called me in late December to update/confirm some personal info (address, income, did I have a bank account to set up direct deposit, etc.) Then they told me I would receive an information packet on the Direct Express card in a week or so (because, at that time, I didn't have a bank account.) I asked if that meant I was approved...she said not yet, but you probably will be. I received the Direct Express card around the 4th or 5th of January, 2013. I was kinda surprised, because I thought I was just getting information on it, not an actual card. The papers with the card said to activate it right away, but I was hesitant, because I hadn't heard anything on if I had been approved. They sent me the back-pay check on the 9th of January. I imagine they sent the check, because I hadn't activated the card yet. Again, I received no other notification, other than the information packet for Medicaid.

I called SSA this morning, and they confirmed that I was approved for SSI and that my SSDI case is still pending. She stated she didn't know why I hadn't been sent an award letter and said she would send something out and I should receive it within 10 days. I really don't see why I would not get the SSDI as well, since I meet the qualifications medically and I have enough credits. I was really quite shocked I got it so quickly. Maybe it helped that I told my rep with Allsup that I was missing my rheumy appointments and not taking all my meds because I couldn't afford them. :/ Also, when I called my rheumy to cancel/reschedule, I gave them the reason why...no money for the appointment and that I couldn't keep putting it on our credit card, because it was reaching its limit. :O I also told my rheumy at my last appointment that I couldn't take all my meds because I couldn't afford them...not good when you have inflammatory arthritis/RA.

Someone at SSA must have taken pity on me, thank God! I also submitted my own letter describing my disability and how it affects my daily life.

Thank you for your replies and good luck to all of you...you are all in my prayers! Smile

01/29/2013 01:57 PM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

Is it possible you were approved SSI because you don't have enough work credits for SSDI? I'm confused why they'd approve you now over a year later for SSI but not SSDI yet.

01/29/2013 01:57 PM
Poohtiglet

@fordman: Yep, I know. Smile My last statement from SSA from 2010, showing what my estimated monthly payment would be if I became disabled, showed $750.00/month. I think the max payable for SSI is $710.00/month? It's my understanding that if your SSDI payment is equal to or more than this, then you will not concurrently receive SSI. Is this correct?

01/29/2013 01:59 PM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

You need to activate that card ASAP..

01/29/2013 02:05 PM
Poohtiglet

@ Elvis: Ooops! My bad....I meant to put 2012. I did all that in 2012, not 2011. Sheesh! Sorry about that. So, it hasn't even been a year. That's why I was so shocked; I was approved fairly quickly, considering what I've read on here about others lengthy battles. :/ I do have enough credits. Allsup already confirmed that. I don't think they would have accepted my case if I didn't have enough credits. I think I read somewhere that they don't take strictly SSI cases.

01/29/2013 02:05 PM
TamieJP
TamieJPPosts: 2315

I wish I had a better understanding of SSI/SSDI because for some reason, even though I asked the person to do so, the person that helped me file for SSD chose NOT to file for SSI - yet.

When he asked me if I wanted to apply, I said that I read that I thought it was the same paperwork so I did want him to click the button for SSI. After we were done (& I was late picking the kids up from school so I could not say anything), he said that he chose NOT to file for the SSI. Unsure

01/29/2013 02:10 PM
Poohtiglet

@ Elvis: Card has been activated hehehehe Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved