MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/02/2013 03:54 AM

Drinking and ssdi

alexis61
alexis61Posts: 290

I noticed the alcohol has been brought up in some of the post. I was thinking about ssdi apps and going before and alj. Since they will use anything to deny you, has anybody ever thought that the judge is thinking about mixing alcohol and medications?

01/02/2013 04:16 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

The last thing you want brought up in your hearing is any alcohol related events nor any narc's. My judge brought up dui's from the 1990's if you had any alcohol related events in the last couple years or sooner then I would have a letter written by a pastor and an alcohol abuse counciler stating that you no longer consume alcohol and if it was less then two years old I would have sign in sheets from AA meetings. And maybe even your primary care write letter stating you no longer use or abuse alcohol.

Post edited by: wolfmanpark, at: 01/02/2013 04:18 AM

01/02/2013 04:38 AM
alexis61
alexis61Posts: 290

My judge also brought up an alcohol incident with me too from 2006. A shame nothing is a secret anymore(lol).But seriously, that could of been a factor in my denial, even though it is not listed on the denial papers. The judge could have formed an opinion.I will never know for sure.

01/02/2013 05:05 AM
Mauidays

I don't think using alcohol should be used as a reason to deny ..it has nothing to do w a disability and also there are people who do use alcohol but don't share that info on the forms, I think like Fordman said he did. Don't judges know the ones who admit to using alcohol are being honest and there's plenty of others like Fordman said who use it but don't share it...I guess I didn't have to deal w any of that, it wasn't an issue bc I don't even drink a glass of wine on New Years ...

Post edited by: Mauidays, at: 01/02/2013 05:06 AM

01/02/2013 05:53 AM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 2885
Group Leader

Back in the day alcoholics and drug addicts could get SSI or SSDI for their addiction. They have since taken alcoholism and drug abuse off as a way of getting disability but a lot of judges simply frown on drinking and drugging while trying for disability.

01/02/2013 05:55 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Its not a matter of admitting it if you have a charge or abuse like a dui !! Or have medical records of abuse. My damn judge even ask about smoking cause my CE doc wrote that I had sit in my car waiting on my appointment and smoked two cigs. They can use any info they choose to use.

01/02/2013 08:42 AM
Mauidays

Yea, that is different if its in record. I was referring to the other thread where Fordman said he didn't admit to drinking on his application, although he said he does drink. This was in a discussion where the poster mentioned she had offered the info voluntarily in her application, although she didnt have any DUI charge or something like that. I said admitting it or not wasn't thankfully an issue for me bc I don't even take a sip of wine on New Years. Overall though I don't see what drinking has to do with one has a bonafide medical disability. I would think the only thing a judge would say about it, is its problem drinking to suggest AA

Post edited by: Mauidays, at: 01/02/2013 08:43 AM

01/02/2013 10:45 AM
baroness
baroness  

I didn't think about drinking and taking prescriptions and that the judge was considering that because I was drinking in 2008 and took no prescriptions at that time. I did have a dui in 2004 but that was not mentioned. I'd had a few drinks one night and was driving to a friends but I didn't know the area and went down a one way street right across from the police station! The street is weird, you drive along and its 2 way traffic and then on the next block around a corner I think it turns into a one way.

01/02/2013 11:02 AM
baroness
baroness  

Attorney's office just called and my attorney is calling me friday and ten am. His assistant suggested I file an appeal and was understanding about how upset I had been when I left a message for them the day I got that dispicable letter.

01/02/2013 11:18 AM
buddapest21

unless you get a judge like mine who asked if i drink or smoke weed or cig... when i told him no(which i do not...) he said "i was lieing. everyone does it". i told him well im not everyone and i have to set a good example for my kids. if i dont want them to do it, i cant do it. he didnt like that very much. and still didnt beleive me

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved