MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/14/2012 04:49 PM

Can I use my own debit card for ssdi/ssi or do I have to use theirs?

baroness
baroness  

I know payments will be on debit cards but I don't have a bank account, I use a debit mastercard through paypal so can they put the money on there or do I have to use ss debit card? I tried asking this question through posts but didn't get an answer. Thanks.

12/14/2012 05:26 PM
womenwithin

I'm not sure if it has to be a debit card with an account at a bank or credit union. Our you speaking of a debit card that you put money on card yourself, making sure that there are no over charging to card? Hope someone can help you on this. I will do a little research to see if I see anything. But that is a question that you can type in Google to see if you can find out anything. That's what I'm going to do.lol Good Luck

12/14/2012 05:52 PM
ElvisPresley
ElvisPresleyPosts: 3029
Group Leader

You'll have to have a bank account with a routing and account number for direct deposit..

12/14/2012 05:58 PM
womenwithin

Debit Card

You also may receive your Social Security benefits on an electronic debit card. This option is for people who do not have a bank account or who do not want to have their funds deposited directly into a bank account.

The U.S. Treasury Department offers a debit card program.

There are many benefits to the electronic debit card:

It's convenient and reliable. Your money will be automatically loaded onto your card on payment day each month. You will have access to your money at all times from virtually anywhere.

It's easy to use. For example, you can make purchases and get cash back at stores. You can get cash at ATMs or from bank or credit union tellers. You can pay bills online. You can buy money orders at the post office.

Funds are protected from creditors. Federal law makes it illegal for a creditor to seize your Social Security benefits. This includes benefits you get on a debit card.

It's secure. The money in your card account is protected and insured up to $250,000 by the FDIC.

It's also free to use the card. There are no sign-up or monthly fees. You will be charged fees for some optional services. Click here to locate an ATM in the Treasury's network or call (800) 741-1115

What is the Direct Express® Program?

The Direct Express® card is like a debit card that you can use to access your funds, but you don't need a bank account. The SSA adds your monthly disability payments to the card on the day you are scheduled to receive your benefits and you can use the card any place that accepts MasterCard, just as you would a regular debit card. You can also use your Direct Express® card to get cash.

( I think this is a card that you can receive at no cost to you)

If you prefer to sign up for Direct Express® rather than have an electronic payment into your bank account, you can call Direct Express® at 800-333-1795. You can sign up for free and there is no monthly charge.

From what I have read SSI/SSDI use the Direct Express for their deposit. I could be wrong. What do you get out of this? Like I said I could be wrong. I did see some site where some other cards except deposit from the gov. But I think I remember a small charge and of course your SS#. Have you asked SSA that question. It wound be nice to no for other's.

Post edited by: womenwithin, at: 12/14/2012 06:22 PM

12/14/2012 06:23 PM
womenwithin

Elvis, I also thought the same but was not for sure, but i did no about the Express card. thanks

12/14/2012 08:36 PM
baroness
baroness  

Yes, I just looked up the direct express mastercard on the social security site but I see only a way to sign up for it after you have ssdi, i'm hoping I can get the ssdi on there cause it only mentioned ssi. I'll just go with that card.

12/15/2012 09:21 AM
womenwithin

I think is for both. Good Luck with your case.

12/15/2012 06:07 PM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

You can call and get the Direct Express card as soon as you're approved.

12/15/2012 06:15 PM
baroness
baroness  

Good. I thought they called you though.

12/16/2012 07:41 PM
ElvisPresley
Group Leader

As soon as you find out you're approved call don't waste any time!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved