MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/13/2012 10:54 AM

SSD and 401K Payout

Meg1129
Meg1129Posts: 14599
VIP Member

Hi!

I have a quick question. My brother has been receiving Social Security Disability for about a year now. He has end stage liver disease, acute renal failure and diabetes. He's doing much better now, but the docs say he can't work again. He's 51.

Anyway, he just formally quit his job and will be getting back all the contributions he made into his pension plan, about $25,000. My question is can he lose his disability over this? I'm concerned that they could find out about it and even though it's not enough to live on for the rest of his life, they could have the attitude of "Well, you've got money now. You don't need SSD."

Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

10/13/2012 01:34 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

No they cant touch the 401 k althought if used and cashed he will owe a boat load of tax. Unless he takes it under an ira or something like that.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved