MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/24/2009 10:37 AM

YAY me!!(page 2)

CherrieAngel
CherrieAngel  

LOL Sharone you always make me smile!!!!

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

05/26/2009 06:36 PM
sharone
sharone  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

LOL!

Hey, make us proud tomorrow! You know you will, anyway, Chickie!

06/11/2009 06:00 AM
CherrieAngel
CherrieAngel  

Update!!

The info session went really well Smile It took me about 5 hours to do all 4 of the assessment tests!! Man, that was rough. I just got the results yesterday and I just about fell over. In Reading Comprehension I got a 98%, Grammar 74% (she said most ppl get in the 40s so this is real good, lol), and the Math I did way better than I thought!! So this means I have to take Biology and Chemistry for sure to upgrade but Math I just need some review and I might not have to take Communications at all!! WOOHOO!! I can do the courses online so I think i'll do that Smile I have to send in my application to the Nursing program in the beginning of January bcuz its my best chance to get into it....she said this program is in high demand and its real hard to get a seat. I godda get amazing grades and apply super early!!

So that's where I'm at now. OH, and on a personal note, Randy (hubby) is moving out for July 1st so i'll be here in this place alone with my 3 kiddies for a month before I have to move too. I haven't found a place yet but there's still lotsa time. I'll just be glad to have him outta the house. It's like I have to babysit my hubby and I hate it!!

I love you all and thank you for being here and giving me all kinds of positive encouragement Smile

xoxoxo

xoxoxo

Post edited by: CherrieAngel, at: 06/11/2009 05:27 PM

06/11/2009 01:02 PM
sharone
sharone  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sounds like you are doing a Happy Dance! I'm glad things are going so well for you!

06/11/2009 08:11 PM
vickiem1124
vickiem1124  
VIP Member

good for you

06/13/2009 02:00 AM
hipmama42
hipmama42  

CherrieAngel, that is wonderful news - congratulations on all of the steps you've taken toward bettering your life. The changes are all exciting, but they can also produce a lot of stress as you get used to a new routine and a new reality. I know this because I've been to school after leaving a husband when my kids were only 3 and 5. It was exhilarating...and sometimes overwhelming...and sometimes extremely stressful, which would trigger panic attacks out of the blue because of ALL of the things that had to be done under a deadline...or else...(homelessness, no money to feed my kids, etc)I could go from euphoria at being rid of my abusive husband to sheer terror at what I was facing ahead on my own.

I made the right decision in leaving the husband, and now it's been 8 years, but that is not to say that the life of the single mom is an easy one. It's usually synonymous with both struggle and strength.

The strength comes from getting through so many obstacles and hardships on your own, and continuing to be a good parent, often with an absent or little-involved or toxic father in the background. It's not easy, especially at first, even when you are glad to be rid of the significant other.

I would advise you to try to break it down and go as slowly as you can, for the sake of yourself and your kids, so you are able to handle it all. Moving is stressful, starting school is stressful, and getting kids acclimated to a new living situation can also be challenging. They may be conflicted and confused at first - but in time they will be fine as long as you are able to spend lots of time with them and reassure them that everything is going to be all right, just different. It took my kids a couple of years to adjust to my divorce. They are now 11 and 13. The older one still has many issues with his dad and does not want to see him right now. The younger one gets along just fine with his dad and his new wife and family. Kids are all different, and react differently.

As for school, congratulations on your awesome grades on those tests! that will give you a confidence boost, for sure, which is so helpful when you've been away from academics for a long time. I'm sure you will do well, and the online courses will offer way more flexibility for you. If you don't get into nursing school when you apply in January, you will likely make it the next time. That is a lot of pressure to put on yourself in addition to all of the other stressors going on with the big changes in your life! You may be fine...I found that with my SA, GA, panic attacks and dread of new people, places, and situations (lacking total confidence in myself and fearing I might fail) I needed to pace myself and when possible to take one new hurdle at a time -- at most, two or three.

Nursing is generally a high-stress, fast-paced detail-oriented profession, and is very hands-on, working with a lot of people, doctors, medical staff, and patients, unless you go into teaching, administration, or public health. You have to try to get along with ALL of them even when they are sick, cranky, rude, or nasty....lol. I know this through my girlfriends that are nurses, or quit nursing because of the stress, and I myself worked as a retail pharmacist for about 10 years. It was TOTALLY the wrong profession for me with my anxiety disorders, the SA, and the panic attacks and fear of making mistakes and giving out the wrong med and killing someone or getting sued. lol. Well....I have anxiety disorders, what would you expect? I loved college and the learning part and I should have gone on for a masters so I could have gone into research perhaps. But I didn't...so my advice would be, it's great if you get into nursing school right away , but be honest with yourself about whether or not you really enjoy the people part of the work, when you do your nursing internships on the hospital floors. I believe that being a nurse is one of the hardest jobs on earth! It pays well - as well it should for all that stress and responsibility!!!

I'm babbling here about my own past experience. I'm confident that you will follow your heart and your gut when choosing a career.

I wish someone had said that to me...I was only looking at the $$$

and that was a big mistake. But then, I was very young and naive. At the ripe old age of 52 I can look back and see things I'd have done differently if I could.

I'm proud of you hon, and I'm pulling for you to succeed - and to be happy, with a happy family! One day at a time.... Smile

06/19/2009 06:37 AM
CherrieAngel
CherrieAngel  

Thanks guys Smile I always appreciate your honesty hipmama!! I feel its the right thing for me to do. I've grown a whole lot in the past decade and now I'm to the point where I know what I can and can't take on.

YAY ME!!

06/19/2009 10:01 AM
vickiem1124
vickiem1124  
VIP Member

be prepared for what hipmama describe have anxiety meds or coping skills close by in the beginning and life doesn't stop because you got a big paper due You may have set backs that's ok I do but my best advices is perseverance keep on taking one step at a time break it up in your head go step by step

06/19/2009 07:51 PM
hipmama42
hipmama42  

hurray for you both! Sometimes a person doesn't actually know until they are on the job whether it is going to prove to be the right career for them, but with nursing there are many types of positions utilizing different types of skills and for different personality types It's a challenging field with a lot of opportunities!

I admire your pluck and determination, and that goes for all of us who are venturing forth, one step at a time, into college, vocational training, a new career, or perhaps challenging new hobbies or volunteer activities where we will be helping people, learning new things, growing as people, and having adventures.

Post edited by: hipmama42, at: 06/19/2009 07:57 PM

Post edited by: hipmama42, at: 06/20/2009 12:36 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved